Feb 13, 2013, 5:37 PM EDT
Colorado players are starting to appear resigned to the fact Ryan O’Reilly has worn an Avalanche jersey for the last time.
O’Reilly — a 22-year-old restricted free agent forward that scored a team high 55 points last season — is currently mired in a contract dispute with the Avs.
Lately, it seems more and more likely the end result of the dispute will be a trade.
This morning, Colorado defenseman Shane O’Brien, who considers O’Reilly one of his closest friends, told the Denver Post that the situation isn’t great, but it’s “the business we live in.”
“He’s making a decision maybe he’ll regret. Maybe he won’t,” said O’Brien. “It all depends on how it works out for him. It’s the bad side of hockey, the business side that no one likes. But I can see both sides of the dilemma . . . It’s gotten ugly. It sucks, definitely sucks, but it is what it is and we’re going to move forward as a group. We got a good group in here. We’re going to stick together, work our way out of this and hopefully start winning some hockey games.”
- IIHF, NHL to meet next month to discuss World Cup (Updated) 0
- Caps unveil new Winter Classic jerseys 23
- Drouin out 3-4 weeks with fractured thumb 3
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 8
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 10
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 35
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough (35)
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks (29)