Feb 13, 2013, 5:37 PM EST
Colorado players are starting to appear resigned to the fact Ryan O’Reilly has worn an Avalanche jersey for the last time.
O’Reilly — a 22-year-old restricted free agent forward that scored a team high 55 points last season — is currently mired in a contract dispute with the Avs.
Lately, it seems more and more likely the end result of the dispute will be a trade.
This morning, Colorado defenseman Shane O’Brien, who considers O’Reilly one of his closest friends, told the Denver Post that the situation isn’t great, but it’s “the business we live in.”
“He’s making a decision maybe he’ll regret. Maybe he won’t,” said O’Brien. “It all depends on how it works out for him. It’s the bad side of hockey, the business side that no one likes. But I can see both sides of the dilemma . . . It’s gotten ugly. It sucks, definitely sucks, but it is what it is and we’re going to move forward as a group. We got a good group in here. We’re going to stick together, work our way out of this and hopefully start winning some hockey games.”
- Canucks’ Bieksa: ‘If this isn’t rock bottom, I don’t know what is’ 13
- Luongo has Twitter fun at Canucks’ expense 19
- Sabres spoil Callahan’s Lightning debut, Stamkos’ return 1
- Dealing with the Devils: NHL reverses Kovalchuk punishment 47
- Playoff bubble watch — Rangers edition 14
- Video: Emotional day for Martin St. Louis ends in OT loss for Rangers 27
- Video: Caps, Flyers engage in another line brawl 53
- PHT’s 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 28
- Winners and losers of the 2014 trade deadline 48
- Montreal wins Vanek sweepstakes (Updated) 46
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Sabres send Miller, Ott to Blues for package including Halak, Stewart (74)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)