Feb 13, 2013, 5:37 PM EDT
Colorado players are starting to appear resigned to the fact Ryan O’Reilly has worn an Avalanche jersey for the last time.
O’Reilly — a 22-year-old restricted free agent forward that scored a team high 55 points last season — is currently mired in a contract dispute with the Avs.
Lately, it seems more and more likely the end result of the dispute will be a trade.
This morning, Colorado defenseman Shane O’Brien, who considers O’Reilly one of his closest friends, told the Denver Post that the situation isn’t great, but it’s “the business we live in.”
“He’s making a decision maybe he’ll regret. Maybe he won’t,” said O’Brien. “It all depends on how it works out for him. It’s the bad side of hockey, the business side that no one likes. But I can see both sides of the dilemma . . . It’s gotten ugly. It sucks, definitely sucks, but it is what it is and we’re going to move forward as a group. We got a good group in here. We’re going to stick together, work our way out of this and hopefully start winning some hockey games.”
- Big money: Tarasenko signs eight-year, $60 million extension with Blues 36
- Blackhawks extend TVR through 2017-18 2
- Good start: McDavid scores five in Oilers scrimmage 18
- Caps ink Kuznetsov to two-year, $6 million extension 9
- Bruins sign three — Hayes, Connolly, and DeFazio 12
- Babcock expects Kadri to be ‘an elite player’ 15
- No expansion bid expected from Kansas City 37
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 17
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 12
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 13