Feb 13, 2013, 12:12 PM EST
The St. Louis Blues are switching things up in goal — again.
According to the Post-Dispatch’s Jeremy Rutherford, rookie netminder Jake Allen will make his first NHL start on Wednesday when the Blues take on the Red Wings in Detroit (7:30 p.m. ET, NBCSN)
Allen has made two brief appearances for the Blues over the last two seasons. In 2011-12, he played 1:07 of relief in the playoffs in a second-round loss to Los Angeles.
This year, he played 30:40 in relief of Brian Elliott during a 6-1 loss to the Predators, allowing two goals on eight shots.
St. Louis’ second-round pick (34th overall) at the 2008 NHL Entry Draft, Allen was a standout goalie at the junior level, having won CHL goaltender of the year in 2010 and leading Canada to a silver medal at that year’s World Junior tournament.
He was recalled from AHL Peoria on Tuesday after Jaroslav Halak re-injured his groin during warmups prior to Monday’s 4-1 loss in Los Angeles.
Halak’s injury forced Ken Hitchcock to play the struggling Brian Elliott against the Kings. That game was supposed to be Allen’s, but he was dispatched to Peoria after Halak had been cleared to face Los Angeles.
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 32
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 3
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 57
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 29
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 47
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 78
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)