Feb 13, 2013, 12:12 PM EDT
The St. Louis Blues are switching things up in goal — again.
According to the Post-Dispatch’s Jeremy Rutherford, rookie netminder Jake Allen will make his first NHL start on Wednesday when the Blues take on the Red Wings in Detroit (7:30 p.m. ET, NBCSN)
Allen has made two brief appearances for the Blues over the last two seasons. In 2011-12, he played 1:07 of relief in the playoffs in a second-round loss to Los Angeles.
This year, he played 30:40 in relief of Brian Elliott during a 6-1 loss to the Predators, allowing two goals on eight shots.
St. Louis’ second-round pick (34th overall) at the 2008 NHL Entry Draft, Allen was a standout goalie at the junior level, having won CHL goaltender of the year in 2010 and leading Canada to a silver medal at that year’s World Junior tournament.
He was recalled from AHL Peoria on Tuesday after Jaroslav Halak re-injured his groin during warmups prior to Monday’s 4-1 loss in Los Angeles.
Halak’s injury forced Ken Hitchcock to play the struggling Brian Elliott against the Kings. That game was supposed to be Allen’s, but he was dispatched to Peoria after Halak had been cleared to face Los Angeles.
- Subban: Contract in arbitrator’s hands now 14
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 22
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 64
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 9
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 32
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 47
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (64)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Poll: Is Drew Doughty the best defenseman in the world? (55)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (47)