Feb 13, 2013, 2:18 PM EST
Is this a story? We’re not sure, but we’re going to pass it along anyway.
Apparently Blackhawks forward Patrick Kane — currently second in NHL scoring with 20 points — isn’t chewing on his mouth guard anymore…because he’s not wearing one anymore.
From Chicago’s Daily Herald:
Kane stopped wearing the mouth piece when he went to play in Switzerland and has kept it out upon his return to the NHL. Kane is off to such a great start that he said he might not put one in his mouth all season.
“It was a tough decision, but it seems to be working out so let’s keep it that way for a while,” Kane said Tuesday. “For now I haven’t been wearing it, but it could come back.”
Kane doesn’t believe it has anything to do with him being off to the best start of his career.
“Maybe I’m not thinking about it so much,” he said. “Was I thinking about chewing on it instead of focusing on the game? I don’t know.”
Kane says he tried some new mouth guards when he got back from Switzerland, but “it just kind of felt weird in my mouth,” so he’s rolling the dice without one.
Hopefully we don’t have to write a follow-up about Kane’s pending dental surgery after taking a puck in the chops.
- Video: Ovechkin becomes sixth fastest player to 400 goals in Caps win 3
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 14
- Assault charges against Varlamov dropped 31
- Carlyle on HBO presence: ‘It’s not normal what we’re living right now’ 5
- Orpik: First days after Thornton attack were ‘miserable’ 69
- Video: Dustin Brown ejected for kneeing, Tomas Hertl won’t return (update) 64
- No supplemental discipline for Caps’ Wilson 32
- Habs healthy scratch Briere for first time this season 7
- Chiarelli says he’s not trading Marchand 21
- Schenn to play tonight; Oates maintains Wilson hit was ‘totally clean’ 54
- Updated: NHL suspends Thornton 15 games for Orpik attack (155)
- Reports: Thornton will appeal 15-game suspension (107)
- Lucic addresses fight video, says he’s ‘disgusted and outraged’ by Vancouver (103)
- Cam Neely questions length of Thornton’s suspension (78)
- Video: Penguins defeat Leafs, Bortuzzo called for illegal hit to head (71)