Feb 13, 2013, 2:18 PM EDT
Is this a story? We’re not sure, but we’re going to pass it along anyway.
Apparently Blackhawks forward Patrick Kane — currently second in NHL scoring with 20 points — isn’t chewing on his mouth guard anymore…because he’s not wearing one anymore.
From Chicago’s Daily Herald:
Kane stopped wearing the mouth piece when he went to play in Switzerland and has kept it out upon his return to the NHL. Kane is off to such a great start that he said he might not put one in his mouth all season.
“It was a tough decision, but it seems to be working out so let’s keep it that way for a while,” Kane said Tuesday. “For now I haven’t been wearing it, but it could come back.”
Kane doesn’t believe it has anything to do with him being off to the best start of his career.
“Maybe I’m not thinking about it so much,” he said. “Was I thinking about chewing on it instead of focusing on the game? I don’t know.”
Kane says he tried some new mouth guards when he got back from Switzerland, but “it just kind of felt weird in my mouth,” so he’s rolling the dice without one.
Hopefully we don’t have to write a follow-up about Kane’s pending dental surgery after taking a puck in the chops.
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 9
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 16
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 5
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 25
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 29
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)