Anyone notice Patrick Kane isn’t chewing on his mouth guard anymore?

Feb 13, 2013, 2:18 PM EDT

Patrick Kane Getty Images

Is this a story? We’re not sure, but we’re going to pass it along anyway.

Apparently Blackhawks forward Patrick Kane — currently second in NHL scoring with 20 points — isn’t chewing on his mouth guard anymore…because he’s not wearing one anymore.

From Chicago’s Daily Herald:

Kane stopped wearing the mouth piece when he went to play in Switzerland and has kept it out upon his return to the NHL. Kane is off to such a great start that he said he might not put one in his mouth all season.

“It was a tough decision, but it seems to be working out so let’s keep it that way for a while,” Kane said Tuesday. “For now I haven’t been wearing it, but it could come back.”

Kane doesn’t believe it has anything to do with him being off to the best start of his career.

“Maybe I’m not thinking about it so much,” he said. “Was I thinking about chewing on it instead of focusing on the game? I don’t know.”

Kane says he tried some new mouth guards when he got back from Switzerland, but “it just kind of felt weird in my mouth,” so he’s rolling the dice without one.

Hopefully we don’t have to write a follow-up about Kane’s pending dental surgery after taking a puck in the chops.

1. pone27 - Feb 13, 2013 at 2:23 PM

Duncan Keith – “No worries bro, I know a good dentist”

Im sure Franzen is more than happy that he doesnt wear one anymore.

Either way, keep doing what your doing Kaner! Go Hawks!

2. lostpuppysyndrome - Feb 13, 2013 at 2:31 PM

If it’s helping me in my fantasy league, I say keep it up Kaner.

3. stangz11 - Feb 13, 2013 at 2:35 PM

Real hockey players don’t need teeth

4. hockeyflow33 - Feb 13, 2013 at 2:44 PM

A mouth guard doesn’t protect your teeth, it helps to prevent concussions

• withseidelinn - Feb 13, 2013 at 2:46 PM

Does both

• stakex - Feb 13, 2013 at 5:09 PM

Slightly. If you take a stick to the mouth or a graze from a puck it will help, but if you take a puck right to the teeth… the mouth guards worn by most NHL players won’t do anything.

And as columbiannecktie points out a little lower down, mouthguards don’t do anything to prevent concussions… or at least theres not credible evidence that they do.

Heres another good read about it: http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/ourgame/goalsassists/equipmentguy/story/2009/01/21/ourgame-mouth-guard.html

• ironyisadeadscene - Feb 13, 2013 at 2:50 PM

It also prevents gingivitis, the onset of alzheimers and forest fires

• michiganhockey11 - Feb 13, 2013 at 2:56 PM

I hear it works for hemorrhoids as well.

• silversun60 - Feb 13, 2013 at 3:15 PM

umm… I thought only you could prevent forest fires.

• sabatimus - Feb 13, 2013 at 4:44 PM

George Brett would back you up on that one, michigan.

• columbiannecktie - Feb 13, 2013 at 2:58 PM

They actually don’t prevent concussions. Mouth guard companies basically pulled that claim out of their asses in the 90’s and everyone was like “whelp, they have animated graphics and whatnot, I guess it must be true!” Years later researchers in sports medicine actually did scientific studies on the matter and found that wearing a mouth guard has no correlation with reduced incidents of concussions.

• hockeyflow33 - Feb 13, 2013 at 3:03 PM

I should have said lowered the risk of suffering a concussion instead of prevent

5. michiganhockey11 - Feb 13, 2013 at 2:54 PM

““it just kind of felt weird in my mouth,”

That’s what she said!!!

• raiderufan - Feb 13, 2013 at 3:17 PM

How was this not the very first comment? As soon as I read that it was the only thing I could think.

6. barkar942 - Feb 13, 2013 at 3:50 PM

I wonder if he has decided to abandon his cup at the same time?
    Now that would truly be newsworthy!

7. chanceoffleury1 - Feb 13, 2013 at 5:17 PM

I’m sorry, but this is such a non-story. What’s next?

“Sidney Crosby is using Old Spice instead of Irish Spring this season”
    “Stamkos changed from Bubble Yum Gum to Bubblicious”
    “Lundqvist switches to 1% millk”

8. juliath83 - Feb 13, 2013 at 5:41 PM

I guess he’s finally done teething

Top 10 NHL Player Searches