Feb 13, 2013, 2:18 PM EDT
Is this a story? We’re not sure, but we’re going to pass it along anyway.
Apparently Blackhawks forward Patrick Kane — currently second in NHL scoring with 20 points — isn’t chewing on his mouth guard anymore…because he’s not wearing one anymore.
From Chicago’s Daily Herald:
Kane stopped wearing the mouth piece when he went to play in Switzerland and has kept it out upon his return to the NHL. Kane is off to such a great start that he said he might not put one in his mouth all season.
“It was a tough decision, but it seems to be working out so let’s keep it that way for a while,” Kane said Tuesday. “For now I haven’t been wearing it, but it could come back.”
Kane doesn’t believe it has anything to do with him being off to the best start of his career.
“Maybe I’m not thinking about it so much,” he said. “Was I thinking about chewing on it instead of focusing on the game? I don’t know.”
Kane says he tried some new mouth guards when he got back from Switzerland, but “it just kind of felt weird in my mouth,” so he’s rolling the dice without one.
Hopefully we don’t have to write a follow-up about Kane’s pending dental surgery after taking a puck in the chops.
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 5
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 9
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 12
- Hello Johansen? Boone Jenner out with broken hand 5
- Bruins release Leino; Boychuk staying put? 18
- Babcock doesn’t think this will be his last year with the Wings 9
- Starting tomorrow, PHT’s ‘Risk Factors’ Series 6
- Krug, Smith sign with Bruins 19
- PHT Morning Skate: Grigorenko with highlight-reel shootout goal 7
- Sabres lose Larsson, Kaleta to head injuries, Leafs’ Booth out too (Update: Franson’s hurt) 5
- Jordan Subban has ‘moved on’ after ‘unfortunate’ photo caption by Vancouver papers (52)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Sabres’ Nolan, Avalanche don’t believe in analytics (32)
- Ouch: Datsyuk (separated shoulder) out 4-5 weeks (27)
- Spooner scores, but coach Julien’s not happy (23)