Feb 12, 2013, 5:15 PM EDT
Gillis was a guest on FAN 590 today and was floated an intriguing scenario from host Nick Kypreos.
“Hypothetically speaking,” asked Kypreos, “let’s say [Luongo] comes into your office tomorrow and says, ‘Let’s end this talk about me moving. I want to stay. If you’re comfortable having me stay, can we put an end to this and stop these talks?’”
“Well, yeah, I can see that scenario playing out,” he said, “but we’re pretty pragmatic here. We’re going to do what’s best for the hockey club and I don’t know where that road’s going to take us.”
Luongo is 3-0-2 with a 1.53 goals-against average and .940 save percentage so far this season. The 33-year-old has also dramatically changed others’ perceptions through his humorous and self-mocking Twitter postings.
“Just as he’s about to be shipped elsewhere, he’s been revealed as humble, honorable, hilarious,” wrote the Vancouver Sun’s Cam Cole. “Just as his run is ending as the Canucks’ last line of defense, he’s rediscovered his comic muse.
“Just before he drops the keys to Canada’s best hockey team in the hands of his still-unproven successor, he turns out to be anything but the monotoned automaton — it was never true, for we have seen him cry in defeat — whose few attempts at humor in his own voice always seemed to backfire on him.”
Gillis admitted today that the current goaltending situation is unsustainable. At some point, one of Luongo or Cory Schneider will have to be moved.
“If we get to the summer with both of them here, I think it would be time to do something,” said Gillis.
But what will that something be?
Being a backup is a lot funner than I anticipated………
—Strombone (@strombone1) February 2, 2013
Jul 22, 2014, 11:00 PM EDT
They locked him up to a four-year deal on Tuesday.
Jul 22, 2014, 10:15 PM EDT
He spent last season playing in Switzerland.
Jul 22, 2014, 9:01 PM EDT
The Cuban-American could help market the sport.
Jul 22, 2014, 7:38 PM EDT
Turning over a new leaf?
Jul 22, 2014, 6:13 PM EDT
That’s $1 million less than his reported asking price.
Jul 22, 2014, 5:15 PM EDT
It’s believed to be worth $2.55 million overall.
Jul 22, 2014, 3:52 PM EDT
Another buy-low bargain like Mason Raymond?
Jul 22, 2014, 2:30 PM EDT
Jul 22, 2014, 1:42 PM EDT
Also went to bat for Jumbo Joe.
Jul 22, 2014, 12:27 PM EDT
Coming off an impressive rookie season.
Jul 22, 2014, 12:15 PM EDT
How ’bout that headline for some alliteration.
Jul 22, 2014, 10:57 AM EDT
His name is Kyle Dubas.
Jul 22, 2014, 10:40 AM EDT
Click for the full schedule of games on NBC and NBCSN.
Jul 22, 2014, 10:19 AM EDT
Had 14 goals and 15 assists, with 209 PIM, in 2013-14.
Jul 22, 2014, 10:01 AM EDT
Excited to join “the toughest team” the Leafs played last season,
Jul 22, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
They didn’t make any big splashes this summer.
Jul 22, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT
That and all the links to start your day.
Jul 21, 2014, 10:45 PM EDT
He does know what the advanced stats say though.
Jul 21, 2014, 9:30 PM EDT
More depth for a Stanley Cup hopeful.
Jul 21, 2014, 8:25 PM EDT
Trade rumors around the Jets star never stop swirling.
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 21
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 16
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 27
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 61
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 61
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off 52
- Report: Leafs sign Franson to one year, $3.3 million deal 8
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M 58
- Report: Blue Jackets, Johansen make ‘significant progress’ toward deal 5
- Kane, Toews could’ve commanded $13.8M cap hits, says agent (83)
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (65)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)