Feb 12, 2013, 5:15 PM EDT
Gillis was a guest on FAN 590 today and was floated an intriguing scenario from host Nick Kypreos.
“Hypothetically speaking,” asked Kypreos, “let’s say [Luongo] comes into your office tomorrow and says, ‘Let’s end this talk about me moving. I want to stay. If you’re comfortable having me stay, can we put an end to this and stop these talks?’”
“Well, yeah, I can see that scenario playing out,” he said, “but we’re pretty pragmatic here. We’re going to do what’s best for the hockey club and I don’t know where that road’s going to take us.”
Luongo is 3-0-2 with a 1.53 goals-against average and .940 save percentage so far this season. The 33-year-old has also dramatically changed others’ perceptions through his humorous and self-mocking Twitter postings.
“Just as he’s about to be shipped elsewhere, he’s been revealed as humble, honorable, hilarious,” wrote the Vancouver Sun’s Cam Cole. “Just as his run is ending as the Canucks’ last line of defense, he’s rediscovered his comic muse.
“Just before he drops the keys to Canada’s best hockey team in the hands of his still-unproven successor, he turns out to be anything but the monotoned automaton — it was never true, for we have seen him cry in defeat — whose few attempts at humor in his own voice always seemed to backfire on him.”
Gillis admitted today that the current goaltending situation is unsustainable. At some point, one of Luongo or Cory Schneider will have to be moved.
“If we get to the summer with both of them here, I think it would be time to do something,” said Gillis.
But what will that something be?
Being a backup is a lot funner than I anticipated………
—Strombone (@strombone1) February 2, 2013
May 23, 2013, 12:50 AM EDT
They rank first and second in shorthanded goals in the 2013 playoffs.
May 23, 2013, 12:14 AM EDT
It initially made it look like he suffered an injury.
May 22, 2013, 11:40 PM EDT
Trent Whitfield has now been on the wrong end of history twice.
May 22, 2013, 10:59 PM EDT
John Tortorella would be proud.
May 22, 2013, 10:42 PM EDT
The Penguins “have too much depth.”
May 22, 2013, 10:15 PM EDT
Ottawa’s strong first period was wasted.
May 22, 2013, 9:02 PM EDT
He’s been reaching out to agents and players.
May 22, 2013, 8:20 PM EDT
Mike Halford and Jason Brough tackle that question.
May 22, 2013, 7:58 PM EDT
He also wants to express his gratitude to the Vancouver Canucks.
May 22, 2013, 7:17 PM EDT
Beau Bennett and Jussi Jokinen have been inserted into the lineup.
May 22, 2013, 7:04 PM EDT
Two swift playoff exits sunk the Canucks’ coach.
May 22, 2013, 6:16 PM EDT
His career has gone downhill since being part of the Hodgson trade.
May 22, 2013, 5:53 PM EDT
Vancouver’s Alain Vigneault joins the fray.
May 22, 2013, 5:18 PM EDT
“As long as they keep winning here, that just gives me a better chance for a return with every win.”
May 22, 2013, 4:20 PM EDT
“Will we look at them? Absolutely.”
May 22, 2013, 3:50 PM EDT
Pittsburgh’s power play is just 1-for-12 in its past two games.
May 22, 2013, 3:48 PM EDT
Vancouver cleans house.
May 22, 2013, 3:31 PM EDT
Decent goaltending depth in Anaheim at the moment.
May 22, 2013, 2:47 PM EDT
Click to read two good reasons.
May 22, 2013, 2:42 PM EDT
This should make the Keith Ballard buyout easier to stomach.
- Sens’ Alfredsson: We probably won’t win this series 13
- Discuss: Penguins overwhelm Senators to take Game 4 46
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting 65
- Gillis: Vigneault fired because results weren’t there 19
- Official: Canucks fire head coach Vigneault, assistants Bowness and Brown 32
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? 99
- Playoffs Tonight: Senators confident they can beat Penguins 38
- Video: Kings denied a goal after quick whistle 29
- Tweet from L.A. Kings Twitter account stirs controversy 62
- Discuss: Sharks take Game 4, even semifinal series against Kings 15
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (92)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (76)
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games