Feb 12, 2013, 10:25 PM EDT
Observers who want Alex Ovechkin to assert himself some more should probably make note of his work in Tuesday’s combative game between the Washington Capitals and Florida Panthers.
The 27-year-old star scored a goal and an assist tonight, but it was his battle with Kris Versteeg that really stood out. Things got started when Ovechkin delivered this hit, which left the 26-year-old winger banged up:
Versteeg retaliated with a crosscheck on Ovi later in the game, prompting the two to drop the gloves:
This represents just the fourth NHL fight for Ovechkin (if you include one in the 2006-07 preseason), according to Hockey Fights. His most recent bit of fisticuffs came against Brandon Dubinsky on Dec. 12, 2010.
Ovechkin ended up getting the last laugh, as the Capitals won 6-5 in overtime.
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 2
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 8
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 32
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)