Feb 12, 2013, 12:24 AM EDT
The San Jose Sharks were once the talk of the National Hockey League for winning seven consecutive games to begin the 2013 regular season.
That chatter has been replaced. On Monday, the Sharks lost their fifth consecutive game – two of those coming by way of the shootout. The Columbus Blue Jackets temporarily worked their way out of the Western Conference basement with a 6-2 win over the Sharks.
On this night, the Sharks were “outworked, out-executed, out-detailed, out-goaltended, out- a lot of things,” head coach Todd McLellan told the San Jose Mercury News.
Added Joe Thornton: “This one’s tough…You always want to get the first one on back-to-back nights. You always want to get the first one going into a road trip. We’ve got to regroup and play well tomorrow.”
The Sharks are one game into a six-game road trip. They are in Nashville to face the Predators Tuesday.
Brandon Dubinsky, who went to Columbus as part of the post-season blockbuster trade that brought Rick Nash to the New York Rangers, finally scored his first goal as a Blue Jacket.
“We all played the right way for 60 minutes,” Dubinsky told NHL.com. “You saw the result that should happen when we play that way.”
- Subban: Contract in arbitrator’s hands now 17
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 23
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 64
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 9
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 32
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 47
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (64)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Poll: Is Drew Doughty the best defenseman in the world? (58)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (47)