Feb 12, 2013, 11:06 AM EDT
The injury woes continue in Florida.
On Tuesday, Panthers head coach Kevin Dineen said captain Ed Jovanovski would miss another week with a knee injury that’s held him out of the last five contests.
Jovanovski, 36, was handed the “C” prior to the start of the season and played a key role on the Panthers’ defense through the first five games, averaging 16:39 of ice time per night.
But on Jan. 31, Jovo was hurt when he went knee-on-knee with Tampa Bay forward B.J. Crombeen and only played one shift in the third period before leaving the contest.
He hasn’t played since.
Jovanovski visited Dr. John Uribe in Miami a few days after getting hurt — the examination revealed no structural damage — and has since been in a holding pattern of rest and recuperation, with the Panthers curiously listing his injury as “lower body.”
The club said he hasn’t suffered any setbacks, but has also been hesitant to put a timetable on Jovanovski’s return.
“He’s still at least another week away,” Dineen said. “It’s going to be a little bit.”
Speaking of this week — the Panthers have a three game homestand against Washington, Montreal and Tampa Bay. If Jovanovski is to miss all three, it’ll bring his total missed games on the year total to eight, roughly 17 percent of the regular season.
May 18, 2013, 9:44 AM EDT
Selke finalists show us how it’s done.
May 18, 2013, 1:47 AM EDT
Boston leads New York 1-0 in the series.
May 18, 2013, 12:45 AM EDT
Oh, the mystery.
May 18, 2013, 12:19 AM EDT
Ottawa has yet to play with the lead in this series.
May 17, 2013, 11:59 PM EDT
Ottawa in a hole.
May 17, 2013, 11:35 PM EDT
Pittsburgh now two wins away from advancing to conference final.
May 17, 2013, 11:08 PM EDT
Drastic reduction in ice time in Game 2 compared to Game 1.
May 17, 2013, 10:46 PM EDT
Continue the debate.
May 17, 2013, 10:17 PM EDT
Sid the Kid nets three.
May 17, 2013, 9:49 PM EDT
Ottawa hanging around in the third period.
May 17, 2013, 9:26 PM EDT
Played once in these playoffs.
May 17, 2013, 9:01 PM EDT
Pittsburgh up in Game 2, up in the series.
May 17, 2013, 8:07 PM EDT
He’s been out with a broken thumb.
May 17, 2013, 8:02 PM EDT
According to Sharks GM Doug Wilson.
May 17, 2013, 7:12 PM EDT
Oh, and Adam Burish has a broken hand.
May 17, 2013, 6:13 PM EDT
Shots haven’t been a problem
May 17, 2013, 5:53 PM EDT
Seth Jones, Nathan McKinnon and Jonathan Drouin all on hand.
May 17, 2013, 5:04 PM EDT
Well, that was certainly unexpected.
May 17, 2013, 4:49 PM EDT
Both are tall defensemen, but only one is getting kudos for his conditioning.
May 17, 2013, 4:28 PM EDT
“He’s trying to do things the right way.”
- Bruins’ Hamilton: ‘I don’t feel like a rookie anymore’ 8
- Penguins’ Murray: ‘We need to be better’ 3
- Senators’ coach MacLean: Karlsson ‘wasn’t one of the best players’ 4
- Discuss: Penguins defeat Senators in Game 2; lead series 2-0 34
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators 81
- Torres won’t appeal suspension, Sharks call punishment ‘grossly unfair’ 9
- Flyers owner Snider: ‘I didn’t pick Bryz’ 60
- Sens’ MacLean, Ducks’ Boudreau, Hawks’ Quenneville are Jack Adams finalists 23
- Playoffs Tonight: ‘Pesky’ Sens fight to even series vs Pens 18
- Video: Vlasic’s controversial delay of game penalty 22
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Discuss: Penguins knock Islanders out of playoffs (99)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (93)
- Capitals discuss ‘lopsided’ penalty calls (82)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (82)
- Swimmer Phelps denies comeback rumors
- PHT: Crosby's hat trick powers Penguins past Senators
- PFT: Jets' Goodson gets five gun and drug charges
- PFT: Gronk taking pre-surgery rip through Vegas
- PFT: Seahawks' Irvin suspended for violating PED policy
- Orb favored to take Preakness, set up Triple try
- What to watch for at the Preakness