Feb 12, 2013, 9:55 AM EDT
27-year-old forward Alex Ovechkin‘s struggles this season have paralleled the Washington Capitals, but there might be a glimmer of hope for both of them.
Although Ovechkin’s transition to the right wing has been a rough one, it’s starting to pay dividends. The Russian star found is riding a four-game point streak after finding the back of the net in Washington’s 5-0 victory over Florida on Saturday.
“All the reads are different [from the right side of the ice,]” Capitals coach Adam Oates said, according to CSN Washington. “Every little decision is a little different. To me he’s getting 10 chances [a game] that he never got before.”
Part of what the shift does is force Ovechkin to come up with new moves to replace the ones that have grown stale and predictable over the years.
“I told him a few times to shoot for different spots,” Ribeiro said. “Goalies are more patient on him, waiting for his high shots.
“If he can go five-hole a few times he can make those guys think a little bit more than if he goes high glove all the time. Now if the goalie sees he went five-hole a few times he might go down a little faster. He can play with their minds a little more.”
Ovechkin will attempt to extend his point streak to five contests in a rematch against the Panthers tonight.
- Silfverberg scores winner with 21 seconds remaining, Ducks complete comeback over Jets 4
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ 32
- So…what do the Oilers do now? 40
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall 157
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup playoff action 7
- Tarasenko’s hat trick has the Wild singing the Blues 16
- Bishop records first career playoff win as Lightning even series with Red Wings 5
- Hartley fined $50,000 after brawl between Flames and Canucks 24
- Blackhawks’ Darling gets the nod for Game 3 29
- Watch Live: Bolts, Blues look to even up their respective series 0
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (159)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)