Feb 12, 2013, 9:55 AM EDT
27-year-old forward Alex Ovechkin‘s struggles this season have paralleled the Washington Capitals, but there might be a glimmer of hope for both of them.
Although Ovechkin’s transition to the right wing has been a rough one, it’s starting to pay dividends. The Russian star found is riding a four-game point streak after finding the back of the net in Washington’s 5-0 victory over Florida on Saturday.
“All the reads are different [from the right side of the ice,]” Capitals coach Adam Oates said, according to CSN Washington. “Every little decision is a little different. To me he’s getting 10 chances [a game] that he never got before.”
Part of what the shift does is force Ovechkin to come up with new moves to replace the ones that have grown stale and predictable over the years.
“I told him a few times to shoot for different spots,” Ribeiro said. “Goalies are more patient on him, waiting for his high shots.
“If he can go five-hole a few times he can make those guys think a little bit more than if he goes high glove all the time. Now if the goalie sees he went five-hole a few times he might go down a little faster. He can play with their minds a little more.”
Ovechkin will attempt to extend his point streak to five contests in a rematch against the Panthers tonight.
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 12
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 13
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (47)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)