Feb 12, 2013, 9:55 AM EDT
27-year-old forward Alex Ovechkin‘s struggles this season have paralleled the Washington Capitals, but there might be a glimmer of hope for both of them.
Although Ovechkin’s transition to the right wing has been a rough one, it’s starting to pay dividends. The Russian star found is riding a four-game point streak after finding the back of the net in Washington’s 5-0 victory over Florida on Saturday.
“All the reads are different [from the right side of the ice,]” Capitals coach Adam Oates said, according to CSN Washington. “Every little decision is a little different. To me he’s getting 10 chances [a game] that he never got before.”
Part of what the shift does is force Ovechkin to come up with new moves to replace the ones that have grown stale and predictable over the years.
“I told him a few times to shoot for different spots,” Ribeiro said. “Goalies are more patient on him, waiting for his high shots.
“If he can go five-hole a few times he can make those guys think a little bit more than if he goes high glove all the time. Now if the goalie sees he went five-hole a few times he might go down a little faster. He can play with their minds a little more.”
Ovechkin will attempt to extend his point streak to five contests in a rematch against the Panthers tonight.
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 0
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 1
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 28
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 32
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 5
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Ruff blasts Dallas for playing ‘garbage hockey’ vs. Flyers 7
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)