Feb 12, 2013, 7:52 AM EDT
NBCSN’s ongoing coverage of the 2013 campaign will continue tonight when the Boston Bruins host the New York Rangers at the TD Garden at 7:30 p.m. ET.
We’re only a quarter of the way through the shortened season, but the Rangers and Bruins are already gearing up for the third and final contest of their 2013 series.
They started the season together with Bruins goaltender Tuukka Rask and Boston’s defense doing a superb job of marginalizing the Rangers’ new top-heavy offense en route to a 3-1 win for Boston. However, when they met again on Jan. 23, Rangers forward Marian Gaborik had a hat trick to help his team earn a 4-3 overtime victory.
Through 10 games, the Rangers are just one of two teams to best the Boston Bruins, but things haven’t gone nearly as well in New York. The Rangers struggled early this season and have a troubling 2-4-0 record against their Atlantic Division counterparts.
The Rangers have found success recently, but they’ve done it by beating the slumping Tampa Bay Lightning twice and the 14th place New York Islanders’ once. If the Rangers want to prove that they’ve moved past their initial slump, they’ll have to start winning big games like tonight’s.
Meanwhile, the only pressure the Boston Bruins feel comes from the desire to keep a good thing going. They have an 8-1-1 record and are on a three-game winning streak. Rask rose to the status of starting goaltender after two-time Vezina Trophy-winner Tim Thomas decided to take a year off and so far he’s given Bruins’ fans no reason to regret Thomas’ departure.
Still, the Rangers are one of the few teams to solve Rask recently, so he’ll be looking for revenge at the same time that the Rangers are seeking momentum.
Probable goaltenders: BOS – Rask (6-1-1, 1.96 GAA, .922 SV%) | NYR – Henrik Lundqvist (5-5-0, 2.44 GAA, .911 SV%)
Oct 22, 2014, 2:15 AM EDT
“We’re not sharp mentally.”
Oct 22, 2014, 1:40 AM EDT
Wonder if the Devils fan behind him was a face-painter?
Oct 22, 2014, 1:11 AM EDT
Had the lead going into the third period.
Oct 22, 2014, 12:35 AM EDT
Do a little dance. Make some big saves. Shut out tonight.
Oct 21, 2014, 11:56 PM EDT
Toronto took this one over in the second period.
Oct 21, 2014, 11:28 PM EDT
Is a call from the league next?
Oct 21, 2014, 10:54 PM EDT
David Desharnais with his first of the season.
Oct 21, 2014, 10:17 PM EDT
No call on that play.
Oct 21, 2014, 9:50 PM EDT
It’s gone from bad to worse for Vancouver.
Oct 21, 2014, 9:40 PM EDT
Happened on an innocent enough play.
Oct 21, 2014, 9:29 PM EDT
Outplayed Philly big time in first period.
Oct 21, 2014, 9:07 PM EDT
Bet that felt good.
Oct 21, 2014, 8:27 PM EDT
Thought to be in against Chicago, but no.
Oct 21, 2014, 8:15 PM EDT
NHL Insider analyzes what the future has in store for the L.A. defenseman.
Oct 21, 2014, 7:07 PM EDT
Check it out via the NBC Live Extra stream.
Oct 21, 2014, 6:42 PM EDT
“Nathan is a frustrated kid right now. He’s in constant pain.”
Oct 21, 2014, 6:18 PM EDT
After watching the first five games of the season from the press box.
Oct 21, 2014, 5:25 PM EDT
‘Canes the only winless team in the league.
Oct 21, 2014, 4:30 PM EDT
For example, a really tough upcoming schedule. (But also goaltending and that defense.)
Oct 21, 2014, 3:43 PM EDT
“It’s adversity for us but we’re going to come through it,” says Jarrett Stoll.
- Video: Raanta shuts out flat Flyers in emergency start 0
- Video: Flyers’ Jones lays out Smith, called for charging 4
- Video: Islanders’ Hickey cut after taking a skate to the face 1
- (Video) McKenzie: NHLPA ‘entirely on board’ with Voynov suspension 8
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? 33
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 15
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 9
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 30
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 3
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)