Feb 12, 2013, 7:52 AM EST
NBCSN’s ongoing coverage of the 2013 campaign will continue tonight when the Boston Bruins host the New York Rangers at the TD Garden at 7:30 p.m. ET.
We’re only a quarter of the way through the shortened season, but the Rangers and Bruins are already gearing up for the third and final contest of their 2013 series.
They started the season together with Bruins goaltender Tuukka Rask and Boston’s defense doing a superb job of marginalizing the Rangers’ new top-heavy offense en route to a 3-1 win for Boston. However, when they met again on Jan. 23, Rangers forward Marian Gaborik had a hat trick to help his team earn a 4-3 overtime victory.
Through 10 games, the Rangers are just one of two teams to best the Boston Bruins, but things haven’t gone nearly as well in New York. The Rangers struggled early this season and have a troubling 2-4-0 record against their Atlantic Division counterparts.
The Rangers have found success recently, but they’ve done it by beating the slumping Tampa Bay Lightning twice and the 14th place New York Islanders’ once. If the Rangers want to prove that they’ve moved past their initial slump, they’ll have to start winning big games like tonight’s.
Meanwhile, the only pressure the Boston Bruins feel comes from the desire to keep a good thing going. They have an 8-1-1 record and are on a three-game winning streak. Rask rose to the status of starting goaltender after two-time Vezina Trophy-winner Tim Thomas decided to take a year off and so far he’s given Bruins’ fans no reason to regret Thomas’ departure.
Still, the Rangers are one of the few teams to solve Rask recently, so he’ll be looking for revenge at the same time that the Rangers are seeking momentum.
Probable goaltenders: BOS – Rask (6-1-1, 1.96 GAA, .922 SV%) | NYR – Henrik Lundqvist (5-5-0, 2.44 GAA, .911 SV%)
Jan 25, 2015, 9:49 PM EST
“We’re so proud of our city for showing that hockey is such a big deal here.”
Jan 25, 2015, 9:25 PM EST
“This is something I’ll remember for a very long time.”
Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs
Jan 25, 2015, 8:59 PM EST
“I remember them being quiet in the end when we won.”
Jan 25, 2015, 8:16 PM EST
29 goals in all.
Jan 25, 2015, 7:36 PM EST
11 in total, eclipsing the old mark by one.
Jan 25, 2015, 6:43 PM EST
Chicago will resume play on Wednesday against Los Angeles.
Jan 25, 2015, 6:18 PM EST
Johansen scored again before the first period ended.
Jan 25, 2015, 5:43 PM EST
Vancouver forward gets Team Foligno on the board early.
Jan 25, 2015, 4:58 PM EST
A grab bag of fun as the game rapidly approaches.
Jan 25, 2015, 4:30 PM EST
It’s the 2015 NHL All-Star Game from Nationwide Arena in Columbus, on NBCSN.
Jan 25, 2015, 3:33 PM EST
Team Foligno and Team Toews square off.
Jan 25, 2015, 3:20 PM EST
He’ll probably be OK.
Jan 25, 2015, 2:02 PM EST
The bubble seems limited, at least.
Jan 25, 2015, 12:48 PM EST
He has more control over his chances in the All-Star Game itself.
Jan 25, 2015, 11:54 AM EST
Maybe we should ease up on the guy.
Jan 25, 2015, 10:50 AM EST
A rare opportunity sidetracked by his groin injury.
Jan 25, 2015, 9:30 AM EST
It sounds like he won’t face the same headaches as others who skipped the event.
Jan 24, 2015, 10:03 PM EST
See you all tomorrow.
Jan 24, 2015, 9:41 PM EST
Florida’s All-Star goalie never gave up on it.
Jan 24, 2015, 9:14 PM EST
Just 0.3 away from Zdeno Chara’s all-time record.
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 0
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 1
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 8
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 13
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 5
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 13
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 2
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 12
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)