Feb 12, 2013, 12:03 AM EDT
The New York Islanders gave up a 3-2 second period lead in what was eventually a 6-4 loss to the Carolina Hurricanes Monday.
That marks five straight losses to begin the month of February for the Islanders. In a shortened 48-game schedule, five straight losses, even if early in the season, can prove costly.
“It feels weird to say the next game’s a must-win,” Islanders defenseman Travis Hamonic told Long Island Newsday.
“We’ve got to look at it that way. We have to make sure we stop this.”
The Islanders’ losing skid followed up on wins over the New Jersey Devils and Pittsburgh Penguins – the number one and five teams, respectively, in the Eastern Conference.
If there was one positive for the Islanders, it was the four power play goals they tallied.
“We’re the type of team that needs all 20 guys going, and we didn’t have that tonight…I thought some guys were soft,” Islanders head coach Jack Capuano told NHL.com.
“We’ve got to find a way 5-on-5 to generate some offense. Our power play was good, but it’s not going to be there every day.”
Jiri Tlusty tallied four points – all coming in the third period – for Carolina. He tied the game at three goals apiece and added the insurance marker into an empty net with 11 seconds remaining.
“We find a way to (get) the points, which is a big key for our team and we have to keep it rolling,” Tlusty told the Raleigh-based News and Observer.
“Our third period has been really strong. We came out really hard tonight (in the third) and wore the D down. That was the plan.”
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 91
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 28
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5
- Wild assistant Sydor arrested for suspected drunk driving, child endangerment 30
- It’s Montreal Canadiens day at PHT 14
- Capitals’ biggest question: Is this finally the year? 32