Feb 12, 2013, 11:37 AM EDT
A couple of old characters have returned to the Phoenix Coyotes ownership soap opera.
Per the Arizona Republic, Anthony LeBlanc (Ice Edge Holdings) and Chicago businessman Matthew Hulsizer have teamed up and are “exploring options” with regards to purchasing the team from the NHL.
LeBlanc would serve as the front man for the investment group, which eventually could include five or six investors, he said.
Hulsizer confirmed his involvement in the venture but deferred further comment to LeBlanc.
Their intent would be to keep the team in Glendale, which would be a blow to possible suitors in Seattle, Quebec and elsewhere who hope to lure a National Hockey League team.
You may recall Hulsizer came close to buying the team a couple of years ago, only to have his efforts thwarted by the Goldwater Institute.
LeBlanc has been in touch with the City of Glendale and thinks there’s a new deal to be made that would keep the Coyotes playing at Jobing.com Arena, even if it’s not as sweet as the deal that Greg Jamison recently saw expire.
“We understand that there are some cash constraints, but at the same time, we can’t do a deal that wouldn’t be economically feasible for us,” LeBlanc told the paper. “It’s a verbose way of saying, ‘Look, we understand that it won’t be the same deal, but we’re trying to find a middle ground that would make sense for both sides.’”
Jun 18, 2013, 12:31 AM EDT
His Twitter feed teases “a big day” on Tuesday.
Jun 18, 2013, 12:02 AM EDT
Just a “wild night” for a Black Ace.
Jun 18, 2013, 12:02 AM EDT
Odd timing, but big news.
Jun 18, 2013, 12:00 AM EDT
Led by Patrice Bergeron, who scored a goal and was practically unbeatable in the faceoff circle.
Jun 17, 2013, 11:57 PM EDT
Dennis Seidenberg: “It feels like sandpaper.”
Jun 17, 2013, 11:43 PM EDT
“It’s a low-chance game and a low-chance series,” he said.
Jun 17, 2013, 11:33 PM EDT
Joel Quenneville said it was “definitely not good.”
Jun 17, 2013, 11:20 PM EDT
He was a game-time decision for Game 3.
Jun 17, 2013, 10:50 PM EDT
A masterful performance by Boston.
Jun 17, 2013, 10:15 PM EDT
Both are much-hyped forwards from Cole Harbour, Novia Scotia.
Jun 17, 2013, 10:10 PM EDT
He owns fifth place with 197 points.
Jun 17, 2013, 9:57 PM EDT
Big results for his line with Tyler Seguin and Chris Kelly.
Jun 17, 2013, 9:26 PM EDT
Does that mean it could fall through?
Jun 17, 2013, 8:16 PM EDT
Big (and surprising) loss for the Chicago Blackhawks.
Jun 17, 2013, 7:23 PM EDT
Chris Mason’s amazing beard couldn’t mask lousy numbers.
Jun 17, 2013, 6:26 PM EDT
Multiple sources expect buyouts for Ilya Bryzgalov and Daniel Briere.
Jun 17, 2013, 5:17 PM EDT
23-year-old was the club’s second-round pick in 2008.
Jun 17, 2013, 5:04 PM EDT
Former Canucks bench boss cashes in.
Jun 17, 2013, 5:01 PM EDT
Just five days after acquiring him from the Islanders.
Jun 17, 2013, 4:39 PM EDT
Interesting, given he’s probably going to get traded this summer.
- Bruins go ‘above and beyond’ to take 2-1 series lead 6
- Chicago’s powerless power play — it’s a problem 1
- Discuss: Bruins smother ‘Hawks, take 2-1 series lead 42
- Marian Hossa won’t play in Game 3 11
- Report: Flyers, Streit agree to four-year, $21 million deal 36
- Playoffs Tonight: We’re tied going into Boston 9
- Writer: NHL playoffs are ‘annoying’ 74
- Blackhawks look to end current Game 3 curse 4
- Bruins’ leaders deliver Stanley Cup Final speech 14
- Report: NHL has Seattle plan ready for Coyotes 64
- Bruins stymie Blackhawks, take Game 3
- Survival and heartbreak at US Open
- PHT: Hossa day to day with upper-body injury
- Protesters back in streets of Brazilian cities
- Posnanski: More Open heartbreak for Mickelson
- Radio hosts fired for mocking ex-NFL player with ALS
- PBT: Unheralded Green could steal NBA Finals MVP