Feb 12, 2013, 11:37 AM EDT
A couple of old characters have returned to the Phoenix Coyotes ownership soap opera.
Per the Arizona Republic, Anthony LeBlanc (Ice Edge Holdings) and Chicago businessman Matthew Hulsizer have teamed up and are “exploring options” with regards to purchasing the team from the NHL.
LeBlanc would serve as the front man for the investment group, which eventually could include five or six investors, he said.
Hulsizer confirmed his involvement in the venture but deferred further comment to LeBlanc.
Their intent would be to keep the team in Glendale, which would be a blow to possible suitors in Seattle, Quebec and elsewhere who hope to lure a National Hockey League team.
You may recall Hulsizer came close to buying the team a couple of years ago, only to have his efforts thwarted by the Goldwater Institute.
LeBlanc has been in touch with the City of Glendale and thinks there’s a new deal to be made that would keep the Coyotes playing at Jobing.com Arena, even if it’s not as sweet as the deal that Greg Jamison recently saw expire.
“We understand that there are some cash constraints, but at the same time, we can’t do a deal that wouldn’t be economically feasible for us,” LeBlanc told the paper. “It’s a verbose way of saying, ‘Look, we understand that it won’t be the same deal, but we’re trying to find a middle ground that would make sense for both sides.’”
Mar 15, 2014, 12:22 AM EDT
Everyone else more or less lost or was inactive.
Mar 14, 2014, 11:54 PM EDT
The two teams combined for nine goals in the second period.
Mar 14, 2014, 10:56 PM EDT
Rangers buy some breathing room via Carl Hagelin’s hat trick.
Mar 14, 2014, 10:28 PM EDT
A showdown between former Canucks goalies goes badly for NJ.
Mar 14, 2014, 10:15 PM EDT
Not that they’re without problems.
Mar 14, 2014, 9:36 PM EDT
Good news for a team giving up a lot of shots.
Mar 14, 2014, 9:23 PM EDT
He’s questionable to return with an undisclosed injury.
Mar 14, 2014, 9:07 PM EDT
Beauty of a pass to Tom Wilson.
Mar 14, 2014, 8:56 PM EDT
On the left side, though.
Mar 14, 2014, 8:22 PM EDT
The player also responds.
Mar 14, 2014, 8:04 PM EDT
He hasn’t been taken out of an induced coma.
Mar 14, 2014, 7:49 PM EDT
Both are inked with the team for three more years.
Mar 14, 2014, 7:15 PM EDT
He was their third first-rounder (27th overall) from 2013.
Mar 14, 2014, 6:34 PM EDT
Anton Lander slides into his center spot vs. Detroit.
Mar 14, 2014, 5:30 PM EDT
“Obviously I would have loved to save 10 grand, but it was part of it.”
Mar 14, 2014, 4:38 PM EDT
Specifically, playing right wing instead of left.
Mar 14, 2014, 3:39 PM EDT
Yep, another Penguins-Flyers series is a possibility.
Mar 14, 2014, 3:15 PM EDT
All the latest from the blue paint…
Mar 14, 2014, 2:19 PM EDT
Lots going on here.
Mar 14, 2014, 2:12 PM EDT
The 30-year-old suffered an ankle injury during the Olympics
- West update: Stars blow lead yet still improve hold on wild card spot 0
- East update: Red Wings eke out shootout win for key points 0
- Luongo continues to foil Schneider as Panthers damage Devils’ playoff hopes 0
- TGIF: In which we salivate over potential playoff matchups 10
- Backstrom to receive silver medal, IOC says Sweden doctor ‘made a serious error’ 28
- Pens lose Neal to concussion 56
- Here are the top 10 and bottom 10 goalies in even-strength save percentage 21
- Weekend preview: Flyers-Pens rivalry renewed, Bruins look to stay hot 12
- Video: Stamkos scores first goal since returning to Lightning lineup 4
- Sedin backs Tortorella and staff: ‘We love playing for these coaches’ 26
- Here are three ‘major changes’ the NHL should consider (98)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (74)
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter (62)
- Video: Dryden on why hockey should ‘give up the fighting, but keep the fight’ (57)
- Cooke to play 1,000th game tomorrow (56)