Feb 12, 2013, 11:37 AM EDT
A couple of old characters have returned to the Phoenix Coyotes ownership soap opera.
Per the Arizona Republic, Anthony LeBlanc (Ice Edge Holdings) and Chicago businessman Matthew Hulsizer have teamed up and are “exploring options” with regards to purchasing the team from the NHL.
LeBlanc would serve as the front man for the investment group, which eventually could include five or six investors, he said.
Hulsizer confirmed his involvement in the venture but deferred further comment to LeBlanc.
Their intent would be to keep the team in Glendale, which would be a blow to possible suitors in Seattle, Quebec and elsewhere who hope to lure a National Hockey League team.
You may recall Hulsizer came close to buying the team a couple of years ago, only to have his efforts thwarted by the Goldwater Institute.
LeBlanc has been in touch with the City of Glendale and thinks there’s a new deal to be made that would keep the Coyotes playing at Jobing.com Arena, even if it’s not as sweet as the deal that Greg Jamison recently saw expire.
“We understand that there are some cash constraints, but at the same time, we can’t do a deal that wouldn’t be economically feasible for us,” LeBlanc told the paper. “It’s a verbose way of saying, ‘Look, we understand that it won’t be the same deal, but we’re trying to find a middle ground that would make sense for both sides.’”
- Flyers will be ‘extremely patient’ with youngsters, but ‘want a winner as soon as possible’ 10
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 9
- Holtby outduels Lundqvist as Caps take series lead 52
- Red Wings’ Devellano calls Mantha ‘very, very, very disappointing’ 65
- End of an era in New Jersey as Shero replaces Lamoriello as GM 26
- Once again, Rick Nash isn’t scoring in the playoffs 26
- Video: U.S. stays unbeaten at Worlds with win over defending champs Russia 9
- Andersen shuts out Flames as Ducks stay perfect in playoffs 6
- Wild can’t contain ‘Hawks star forwards in Game 2 46
- Prust blasts referee Watson after getting tossed from Game 2 29
- Niklas Kronwall suspended for Game 7 vs. Tampa Bay (116)
- Vigneault: ‘Standards have been set’ after Ovechkin, Backstrom hits (103)
- ‘You can’t win,’ ex-NHL ref Fraser says of Prust incident (82)
- Lightning’s Bishop silences Red Wings in hard fought Game 7 (81)
- Babcock won’t discuss future yet, but sees challenges ahead for Wings (78)