Feb 12, 2013, 2:16 PM EST
Ryan Whitney is not a happy member of the Edmonton Oilers. The veteran defenseman will be a healthy scratch for the second straight game tonight against Dallas.
According to TSN’s Ryan Rishaug, Whitney won’t request a trade out of Edmonton, but he thinks one is possible.
“They’re paying me a lot of money and I’m not playing,” said Whitney, 29, who’s in the final year of a six-year, $24 million contract.
Whitney isn’t the only healthy veteran that will be sitting and watching tonight. Forward Ryan Smyth has also been scratched by Oilers head coach Ralph Krueger.
Smyth respectfully declined to speak to the media today. The 36-year-old took three minor penalties in Edmonton’s last game, a 3-1 victory over Columbus on Sunday.
“It’s extremely difficult,” said Krueger on his decision to scratch Smyth. “But whether it’s popular or not is not the driving force.”
“As we get better as an organization, there will be players who don’t meet our expectations anymore.” – Krueger.
— Mark Spector Sports (@SportsnetSpec) February 12, 2013
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 4
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (75)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)