Feb 12, 2013, 2:16 PM EST
Ryan Whitney is not a happy member of the Edmonton Oilers. The veteran defenseman will be a healthy scratch for the second straight game tonight against Dallas.
According to TSN’s Ryan Rishaug, Whitney won’t request a trade out of Edmonton, but he thinks one is possible.
“They’re paying me a lot of money and I’m not playing,” said Whitney, 29, who’s in the final year of a six-year, $24 million contract.
Whitney isn’t the only healthy veteran that will be sitting and watching tonight. Forward Ryan Smyth has also been scratched by Oilers head coach Ralph Krueger.
Smyth respectfully declined to speak to the media today. The 36-year-old took three minor penalties in Edmonton’s last game, a 3-1 victory over Columbus on Sunday.
“It’s extremely difficult,” said Krueger on his decision to scratch Smyth. “But whether it’s popular or not is not the driving force.”
“As we get better as an organization, there will be players who don’t meet our expectations anymore.” – Krueger.
— Mark Spector Sports (@SportsnetSpec) February 12, 2013
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 12
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 3
- Report: Laviolette a candidate to replace Capuano 19
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory 49
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 56
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 89
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 10
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 60
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (60)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (56)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)