Feb 12, 2013, 12:28 PM EDT
Roughly 48 hours after taking Jaroslav Halak off IR and sending Jake Allen to the AHL, the Blues are reversing course.
RDS’ Renaud Lavoie passes along word that the Slovak netminder will ‘probably’ miss the next seven days (he hasn’t played since Feb. 1) after re-tweaking his groin during warmups prior to Monday’s 4-1 loss to Los Angeles.
Brian Elliott was forced into emergency action (Halak was slated to start against the Kings) and allowed four goals on 23 shots.
An All-Star in 2011-12, Elliott has struggled mightily while Halak’s been shelved — he’s allowed 20 goals on his last 105 shots faced and has been the goalie of record for all of St. Louis’ recent losing skid.
It’ll be interesting to see who Blues head coach Ken Hitchcock starts in goal for Wednesday’s game in Detroit.
Hitch has been vocal with his displeasure with Elliott’s play as of late, saying “he’s got to be better” while suggesting that, if Halak was unable to play against Los Angeles, he would’ve gone with rookie netminder Jake Allen between the pipes.
Just one problem — when Halak cleared IR on Sunday, Allen was sent back to AHL Peoria.
Update: According to NHL.com’s Lou Korac, Halak was on the ice Tuesday with Elliott and Allen.
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 3
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 23
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 17
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 8
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 25
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 38
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 38
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 54
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)