Feb 12, 2013, 12:28 PM EDT
Roughly 48 hours after taking Jaroslav Halak off IR and sending Jake Allen to the AHL, the Blues are reversing course.
RDS’ Renaud Lavoie passes along word that the Slovak netminder will ‘probably’ miss the next seven days (he hasn’t played since Feb. 1) after re-tweaking his groin during warmups prior to Monday’s 4-1 loss to Los Angeles.
Brian Elliott was forced into emergency action (Halak was slated to start against the Kings) and allowed four goals on 23 shots.
An All-Star in 2011-12, Elliott has struggled mightily while Halak’s been shelved — he’s allowed 20 goals on his last 105 shots faced and has been the goalie of record for all of St. Louis’ recent losing skid.
It’ll be interesting to see who Blues head coach Ken Hitchcock starts in goal for Wednesday’s game in Detroit.
Hitch has been vocal with his displeasure with Elliott’s play as of late, saying “he’s got to be better” while suggesting that, if Halak was unable to play against Los Angeles, he would’ve gone with rookie netminder Jake Allen between the pipes.
Just one problem — when Halak cleared IR on Sunday, Allen was sent back to AHL Peoria.
Update: According to NHL.com’s Lou Korac, Halak was on the ice Tuesday with Elliott and Allen.
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 2
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 8
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 32
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)