Feb 12, 2013, 12:28 PM EDT
Roughly 48 hours after taking Jaroslav Halak off IR and sending Jake Allen to the AHL, the Blues are reversing course.
RDS’ Renaud Lavoie passes along word that the Slovak netminder will ‘probably’ miss the next seven days (he hasn’t played since Feb. 1) after re-tweaking his groin during warmups prior to Monday’s 4-1 loss to Los Angeles.
Brian Elliott was forced into emergency action (Halak was slated to start against the Kings) and allowed four goals on 23 shots.
An All-Star in 2011-12, Elliott has struggled mightily while Halak’s been shelved — he’s allowed 20 goals on his last 105 shots faced and has been the goalie of record for all of St. Louis’ recent losing skid.
It’ll be interesting to see who Blues head coach Ken Hitchcock starts in goal for Wednesday’s game in Detroit.
Hitch has been vocal with his displeasure with Elliott’s play as of late, saying “he’s got to be better” while suggesting that, if Halak was unable to play against Los Angeles, he would’ve gone with rookie netminder Jake Allen between the pipes.
Just one problem — when Halak cleared IR on Sunday, Allen was sent back to AHL Peoria.
Update: According to NHL.com’s Lou Korac, Halak was on the ice Tuesday with Elliott and Allen.
- Sedin backs Tortorella and staff: ‘We love playing for these coaches’ 17
- Here are three ‘major changes’ the NHL should consider 88
- Callahan: I wanted to stay in New York 34
- Playoff bubble watch — Wild edition 18
- Video: Ryan Kesler injured on knee-on-knee collision, on his way back to Vancouver 12
- Discuss: Bruins run over Habs in newest chapter of historic rivalry 26
- Peverley to undergo heart procedure, will miss rest of season 13
- Comeau gets two games for boarding Smith 9
- Three things the Canucks haven’t done well under Torts 22
- Gillis won’t say if Tortorella’s lost Canucks room 32
- Here are three ‘major changes’ the NHL should consider (88)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (74)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (72)
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter (61)
- Video: Dryden on why hockey should ‘give up the fighting, but keep the fight’ (57)