Feb 12, 2013, 9:11 PM EDT
Even on a significantly altered Carolina Hurricanes team, Joni Pitkanen is still an extremely important player. The team can’t be pleased to find out that he won’t return in Tuesday’s game against the New Jersey Devils after suffering a lower-body injury, according to The Bergen Record’s Tom Gulitti.
The Raleigh News & Observer’s Chip Alexander gets a slight bit more specific, stating that Pitkanen grabbed his leg before leaving the ice.
The 29-year-old defenseman easily leads the Hurricanes in time on ice this season with 25:22 minutes per game. The only player reasonably close is Justin Faulk, 20, who logs a little more than 23 minutes on average.
The Finnish blueliner has five points and a +8 rating in 11 games this season.
Beyond sitting out the rest of this game, it’s unclear how severe this issue is.
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 14
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 7
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- WATCH LIVE: Pittsburgh vs. Philly on Rivalry Night 3
- Wild, Coyle agree on five-year contract extension 16
- The Flyers ‘have Mason’s back’ 9
- Postponed: NHL to reschedule Sens-Leafs in wake of Ottawa shootings 35
- NHL monitoring situation in Ottawa 23
- Lawyer: ‘Mr. Voynov never hit the woman’ 33
- NHL on NBCSN: Hungry Flyers set sights on rival Penguins 30
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (57)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)