Feb 12, 2013, 10:54 AM EDT
What was thought to be a minor injury for Ryan Malone has turned out to be more serious.
The Lightning forward will miss 3-4 weeks with his lower-body injury, according to head coach Guy Boucher (by way of the Tampa Bay Times.)
Tampa put Malone on injured reserve on Monday after he hurt himself warming up prior to Sunday’s 5-1 loss to the Rangers in New York.
Here’s more, from the Tampa Tribune:
The injury is something that had been bothering him and flared up during one of the warm-up games some players participate in before taking the ice for the official pregame warmup, Lightning general manager Steve Yzerman said.
“He was just warming up before the game, and it tightened up,” Yzerman said.
Malone will require rest, Yzerman said, with no testing expected at this time, indicating it could be a muscle as opposed to a structural issue.
The loss will hurt Tampa Bay up front, as Malone is one of the team’s most physical forwards.
He often provided a solid net-front presence and a good nose for goal, scoring 4G-1A-5PTS through 10 games this season, including the game winner against Ottawa on Jan. 25.
- Kopitar + adorable dog = best day with the Stanley Cup? 6
- With Dubinsky locked up, Jackets next task is re-signing Johansen 6
- Lightning sign Brenden Morrow for one year 31
- Jackets sign Dubinsky through 2020-21 39
- AHL’s new overtime rules include 3-on-3 play 27
- Report: Avs, O’Reilly likely headed to arbitration 72
- Armstrong lays out what Blues offered KHL-bound Sobotka 15
- Blues re-sign Ott; Sobotka to KHL? 35
- Devils ink Schneider to reported seven-year, $42 million deal 62
- Big money: Toews, Kane sign eight-year, $84 million extensions 171
- Big money: Toews, Kane sign eight-year, $84 million extensions (171)
- Report: Avs, O’Reilly likely headed to arbitration (72)
- Boyle wanted Big Apple after playing in ‘nontraditional hockey markets’ of Florida, California (63)
- Devils ink Schneider to reported seven-year, $42 million deal (62)
- Report: Sidney Crosby will undergo wrist surgery (59)