Feb 12, 2013, 10:54 AM EDT
What was thought to be a minor injury for Ryan Malone has turned out to be more serious.
The Lightning forward will miss 3-4 weeks with his lower-body injury, according to head coach Guy Boucher (by way of the Tampa Bay Times.)
Tampa put Malone on injured reserve on Monday after he hurt himself warming up prior to Sunday’s 5-1 loss to the Rangers in New York.
Here’s more, from the Tampa Tribune:
The injury is something that had been bothering him and flared up during one of the warm-up games some players participate in before taking the ice for the official pregame warmup, Lightning general manager Steve Yzerman said.
“He was just warming up before the game, and it tightened up,” Yzerman said.
Malone will require rest, Yzerman said, with no testing expected at this time, indicating it could be a muscle as opposed to a structural issue.
The loss will hurt Tampa Bay up front, as Malone is one of the team’s most physical forwards.
He often provided a solid net-front presence and a good nose for goal, scoring 4G-1A-5PTS through 10 games this season, including the game winner against Ottawa on Jan. 25.
- Once again, Carlyle’s Leafs are searching for answers 3
- Video: Sens, Leafs, Habs combine for beautiful tribute following Ottawa shootings 4
- Sleepy Sharks hit new low in loss to Buffalo 11
- Goalie nods: Gustavsson gets his second start 0
- Price downplays start as Canadiens host Rangers 8
- Sens, Habs and Leafs pay tribute to fallen soldier 3
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 34
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 4
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 28
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (83)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? (37)
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case (36)