Feb 12, 2013, 10:54 AM EST
What was thought to be a minor injury for Ryan Malone has turned out to be more serious.
The Lightning forward will miss 3-4 weeks with his lower-body injury, according to head coach Guy Boucher (by way of the Tampa Bay Times.)
Tampa put Malone on injured reserve on Monday after he hurt himself warming up prior to Sunday’s 5-1 loss to the Rangers in New York.
Here’s more, from the Tampa Tribune:
The injury is something that had been bothering him and flared up during one of the warm-up games some players participate in before taking the ice for the official pregame warmup, Lightning general manager Steve Yzerman said.
“He was just warming up before the game, and it tightened up,” Yzerman said.
Malone will require rest, Yzerman said, with no testing expected at this time, indicating it could be a muscle as opposed to a structural issue.
The loss will hurt Tampa Bay up front, as Malone is one of the team’s most physical forwards.
He often provided a solid net-front presence and a good nose for goal, scoring 4G-1A-5PTS through 10 games this season, including the game winner against Ottawa on Jan. 25.
- Video: Ovechkin with an unreal dangle, scores game-winner 8
- Video: Avs’ Tanguay takes Ovechkin shot to the face (Updated) 3
- Video: Lindros and LeClair inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 8
- BREAKING: Voynov charged with felony for domestic violence 30
- NHL responds to concussion lawsuit, says players should have ‘put two and two together’ 37
- (Video) PHT Extra: Carlyle’s on the hot seat, Hartley’s riding high 0
- Hextall launched profanity-laced tirade against Flyers last night 34
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him 56
- NHL watching 3-on-3 OT in the AHL closely 12
- Sens’ Murray hopes to bring cancer awareness 5
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (56)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)
- Video: Malkin runs over Girardi (Updated) (41)
- NHL responds to concussion lawsuit, says players should have ‘put two and two together’ (37)