Feb 12, 2013, 10:54 AM EDT
What was thought to be a minor injury for Ryan Malone has turned out to be more serious.
The Lightning forward will miss 3-4 weeks with his lower-body injury, according to head coach Guy Boucher (by way of the Tampa Bay Times.)
Tampa put Malone on injured reserve on Monday after he hurt himself warming up prior to Sunday’s 5-1 loss to the Rangers in New York.
Here’s more, from the Tampa Tribune:
The injury is something that had been bothering him and flared up during one of the warm-up games some players participate in before taking the ice for the official pregame warmup, Lightning general manager Steve Yzerman said.
“He was just warming up before the game, and it tightened up,” Yzerman said.
Malone will require rest, Yzerman said, with no testing expected at this time, indicating it could be a muscle as opposed to a structural issue.
The loss will hurt Tampa Bay up front, as Malone is one of the team’s most physical forwards.
He often provided a solid net-front presence and a good nose for goal, scoring 4G-1A-5PTS through 10 games this season, including the game winner against Ottawa on Jan. 25.
- WATCH LIVE: Pittsburgh vs. Philly on Rivalry Night 0
- Wild, Coyle agree on five-year contract extension 12
- The Flyers ‘have Mason’s back’ 9
- Postponed: NHL to reschedule Sens-Leafs in wake of Ottawa shootings 19
- NHL monitoring situation in Ottawa 23
- Lawyer: ‘Mr. Voynov never hit the woman’ 32
- NHL on NBCSN: Hungry Flyers set sights on rival Penguins 29
- Video: Raanta shuts out flat Flyers in emergency start 5
- Video: Flyers’ Jones lays out Smith, called for charging 15
- Video: Islanders’ Hickey cut after taking a skate to the face 2
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (57)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)