Feb 12, 2013, 10:54 AM EDT
What was thought to be a minor injury for Ryan Malone has turned out to be more serious.
The Lightning forward will miss 3-4 weeks with his lower-body injury, according to head coach Guy Boucher (by way of the Tampa Bay Times.)
Tampa put Malone on injured reserve on Monday after he hurt himself warming up prior to Sunday’s 5-1 loss to the Rangers in New York.
Here’s more, from the Tampa Tribune:
The injury is something that had been bothering him and flared up during one of the warm-up games some players participate in before taking the ice for the official pregame warmup, Lightning general manager Steve Yzerman said.
“He was just warming up before the game, and it tightened up,” Yzerman said.
Malone will require rest, Yzerman said, with no testing expected at this time, indicating it could be a muscle as opposed to a structural issue.
The loss will hurt Tampa Bay up front, as Malone is one of the team’s most physical forwards.
He often provided a solid net-front presence and a good nose for goal, scoring 4G-1A-5PTS through 10 games this season, including the game winner against Ottawa on Jan. 25.
- Red Wings take over third period, blank Ovechkin in win 6
- Video: Doc Emrick’s heartfelt words about Gordie Howe 4
- Rangers’ Moore suspended five games for ‘extremely difficult’ Haula hit 18
- Ovechkin looking to avoid career-long scoring slump tonight 11
- Nolan skates Sabres, says the time for ‘taking it easy is over’ 36
- Report: Gryba, Tropp avoid punishment after getting tossed for hits 6
- What they’re saying about the Sabres (and it’s not good) 22
- NHL on NBCSN: Caps, Red Wings battle after hotly contested 13-14 series 5
- Miller wins 300th, Canes finish Oct. without single victory 7
- Video: Backes crashes into Daley, falls to ice hard (Updated) 5
- Video: John Moore with an elbow to the head of Erik Haula (Updated) (61)
- Report: Varlamov being sued by ex-girlfriend (47)
- Kreider calls Brodin hit a ‘bang-bang play,’ doesn’t plan to dramatically change his game (45)
- No hearing scheduled for Kreider after Brodin hit (44)
- Kopitar out, Lombardi irate as Kings will play shorthanded vs. Flyers (40)