Feb 12, 2013, 8:17 PM EDT
The Columbus Blue Jackets decided to fire GM Scott Howson on Tuesday, marking the first major move by new team president John Davidson.
Here’s what Davidson had to say:
“Scott Howson is a caring man who gave everything he had to the Columbus Blue Jackets over the past six years,” said Davidson. “This was a difficult decision but one that I thought was in the best interest of moving our hockey club forward. I have enjoyed working with Scott and want to thank him for his service.”
Despite the fact that the team has only made the postseason once and never earned a playoff win, Howson is just the second GM in franchise history. He succeeded Doug MacLean on June 15, 2007. The Blue Jackets went 173-190-59 during his time as the GM, including that lone playoff run in 2008-09.
Update: The Columbus Dispatch’s Aaron Portzline reports that Davidson could name the team’s next general manager as early as Wednesday.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 12
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 16
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 56
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 25
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 24
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)