Feb 12, 2013, 8:17 PM EDT
The Columbus Blue Jackets decided to fire GM Scott Howson on Tuesday, marking the first major move by new team president John Davidson.
Here’s what Davidson had to say:
“Scott Howson is a caring man who gave everything he had to the Columbus Blue Jackets over the past six years,” said Davidson. “This was a difficult decision but one that I thought was in the best interest of moving our hockey club forward. I have enjoyed working with Scott and want to thank him for his service.”
Despite the fact that the team has only made the postseason once and never earned a playoff win, Howson is just the second GM in franchise history. He succeeded Doug MacLean on June 15, 2007. The Blue Jackets went 173-190-59 during his time as the GM, including that lone playoff run in 2008-09.
Update: The Columbus Dispatch’s Aaron Portzline reports that Davidson could name the team’s next general manager as early as Wednesday.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 7
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 37
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)