Feb 12, 2013, 8:17 PM EDT
The Columbus Blue Jackets decided to fire GM Scott Howson on Tuesday, marking the first major move by new team president John Davidson.
Here’s what Davidson had to say:
“Scott Howson is a caring man who gave everything he had to the Columbus Blue Jackets over the past six years,” said Davidson. “This was a difficult decision but one that I thought was in the best interest of moving our hockey club forward. I have enjoyed working with Scott and want to thank him for his service.”
Despite the fact that the team has only made the postseason once and never earned a playoff win, Howson is just the second GM in franchise history. He succeeded Doug MacLean on June 15, 2007. The Blue Jackets went 173-190-59 during his time as the GM, including that lone playoff run in 2008-09.
Update: The Columbus Dispatch’s Aaron Portzline reports that Davidson could name the team’s next general manager as early as Wednesday.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- WATCH LIVE: Columbus Blue Jackets at Pittsburgh Penguins (Game 2) 3
- Blues come back to stun Blackhawks 4-3 in overtime, take 2-0 series lead 21
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; Blues tie it up in waning moments 83
- WATCH LIVE: Chicago Blackhawks at St. Louis Blues (Game 2) 4
- Flyers’ Mason out of Game 2, Emery to start again 38
- Lucic fined $5,000 for spearing DeKeyser 70
- Getzlaf powers Ducks to Game 2 victory, 2-0 series lead over Stars 7
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind 114
- Detroit stuns favored Bruins with late goal to take Game 1 62
- Crashing Lightning: Montreal crushes Tampa Bay, takes 2-0 series lead 7