Feb 12, 2013, 8:17 PM EDT
The Columbus Blue Jackets decided to fire GM Scott Howson on Tuesday, marking the first major move by new team president John Davidson.
Here’s what Davidson had to say:
“Scott Howson is a caring man who gave everything he had to the Columbus Blue Jackets over the past six years,” said Davidson. “This was a difficult decision but one that I thought was in the best interest of moving our hockey club forward. I have enjoyed working with Scott and want to thank him for his service.”
Despite the fact that the team has only made the postseason once and never earned a playoff win, Howson is just the second GM in franchise history. He succeeded Doug MacLean on June 15, 2007. The Blue Jackets went 173-190-59 during his time as the GM, including that lone playoff run in 2008-09.
Update: The Columbus Dispatch’s Aaron Portzline reports that Davidson could name the team’s next general manager as early as Wednesday.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- Report: Leiweke to head up Olympic bid in Los Angeles 11
- In praise of John Tavares 14
- It’s New York Islanders Day at PHT 26
- McDavid on teams possibly tanking for him: ‘It’s pretty crazy’ 19
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history 39
- Under Pressure: Mike Johnston 17
- It’s Pittsburgh Penguins Day at PHT 33
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 47
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 55
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 40