Feb 11, 2013, 1:16 PM EDT
Steven Stamkos knows the Bolts have to be better away from home.
“We’re known as a team that can’t win on the road right now,” he told the St. Petersburg Times following Sunday’s 5-1 loss to the Rangers at MSG. “It’s embarrassing.
“Especially [Sunday's] effort. We couldn’t even make a pass out there.”
Sunday’s loss wrapped Tampa’s abbreviated three-game roadie — Saturday’s game at TD Garden in Boston was postponed due to the winter storm — and the Bolts might’ve been glad it got cancelled.
They were outscored 11-4 over the three games and went 0-for-10 on the power play, stunningly low offensive output for a team that leads the NHL in goals per game (3.91) and has the league’s second-best power play (28.3 percent).
All told, Tampa is now 1-4 on the road and has been outscored 11-16.
“We’ve got to find a way,” Stamkos said. “I feel like we keep saying that every time. We’re a lot better team than we’re playing on the road.”
Bolts head coach Guy Boucher was as disappointed as Stamkos, if not more.
“[That was] “as bad as we’ve played all year,” he said following Sunday’s loss. “Total impatience. Not smart, trying to cheat and find ways that don’t exist.”
- Crosby, Pens continue recent dominance of Ovechkin, Caps 9
- Terry Trafford’s body found in Michigan on Tuesday 8
- PHT Extra: What happens if the Caps miss the playoffs? 14
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 6
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 56
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 11
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 27
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 19
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 8
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (69)
- Flyers’ Luke Schenn on first-period brawl: ‘That’s the way it goes’ (57)