Feb 11, 2013, 1:16 PM EDT
Steven Stamkos knows the Bolts have to be better away from home.
“We’re known as a team that can’t win on the road right now,” he told the St. Petersburg Times following Sunday’s 5-1 loss to the Rangers at MSG. “It’s embarrassing.
“Especially [Sunday's] effort. We couldn’t even make a pass out there.”
Sunday’s loss wrapped Tampa’s abbreviated three-game roadie — Saturday’s game at TD Garden in Boston was postponed due to the winter storm — and the Bolts might’ve been glad it got cancelled.
They were outscored 11-4 over the three games and went 0-for-10 on the power play, stunningly low offensive output for a team that leads the NHL in goals per game (3.91) and has the league’s second-best power play (28.3 percent).
All told, Tampa is now 1-4 on the road and has been outscored 11-16.
“We’ve got to find a way,” Stamkos said. “I feel like we keep saying that every time. We’re a lot better team than we’re playing on the road.”
Bolts head coach Guy Boucher was as disappointed as Stamkos, if not more.
“[That was] “as bad as we’ve played all year,” he said following Sunday’s loss. “Total impatience. Not smart, trying to cheat and find ways that don’t exist.”
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 0
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 9
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 18
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 27
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 9
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 39
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension 91
- Sabres, Panthers have best odds for 2014 NHL draft lottery 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- Halak’s agent ‘bewildered’ by Oates’ remarks prior to Blues game (51)
- Here’s the schedule for the first round of the 2014 playoffs (51)