Feb 11, 2013, 2:47 PM EST
Mired in a three game losing streak and losers in four of six, the Montreal Canadiens need to get better efforts from a number of players — none more than Erik Cole.
The veteran forward has just 2G-2A-4PTS through 11 games this year. Given his veteran presence and big-money contract (four years, $18 million), much more is expected of Cole, and he addressed those expectations by texting his teammates following Saturday’s 6-0 drubbing against Toronto.
“Every team’s going to go through some tough times this year, and we’re in one right now,” Cole explained. “It’s up to us to get ourselves out of it.
“I told them that I plan on being better and being part of the solution. I think, judging by the responses, that it was good.”
Apparently Cole sent the message via a group chat he created during the lockout, to keep them up to date with CBA negotiations
and all the cool stuff he found on Groupon.
“We gave those guys a lot of chances,” head coach Michel Therrien said of the Cole-Desharnais-Pacioretty line. “We spoke to those guys and they know where we’re [coming from].”
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 5
- Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 43
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 12
- Neal admits kneeing Marchand was ‘not the smartest decision’ 68
- Leafs captain Phaneuf suspended two games for boarding 37
- Rangers confirm Staal suffered concussion 8
- Winnipeg to get outdoor game; Phoenix wants one 33
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 156
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 104
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 136
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (136)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)