Feb 11, 2013, 2:47 PM EDT
Mired in a three game losing streak and losers in four of six, the Montreal Canadiens need to get better efforts from a number of players — none more than Erik Cole.
The veteran forward has just 2G-2A-4PTS through 11 games this year. Given his veteran presence and big-money contract (four years, $18 million), much more is expected of Cole, and he addressed those expectations by texting his teammates following Saturday’s 6-0 drubbing against Toronto.
“Every team’s going to go through some tough times this year, and we’re in one right now,” Cole explained. “It’s up to us to get ourselves out of it.
“I told them that I plan on being better and being part of the solution. I think, judging by the responses, that it was good.”
Apparently Cole sent the message via a group chat he created during the lockout, to keep them up to date with CBA negotiations
and all the cool stuff he found on Groupon.
“We gave those guys a lot of chances,” head coach Michel Therrien said of the Cole-Desharnais-Pacioretty line. “We spoke to those guys and they know where we’re [coming from].”
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year 3
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 22
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 48
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 2
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 60
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off 52
- Report: Leafs sign Franson to one year, $3.3 million deal 8
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M 58
- Report: Blue Jackets, Johansen make ‘significant progress’ toward deal 5
- Red Wings unveil plans for new arena, look to open in 2017 57
- Kane, Toews could’ve commanded $13.8M cap hits, says agent (83)
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (60)
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M (58)