Feb 11, 2013, 9:53 AM EDT
It’s hard to believe that Anaheim Ducks forward Teemu Selanne is actually 42. After all, his age certainly hasn’t slowed his production.
Selanne had a goal and four points in Saturday’s 6-5 shootout victory over the St. Louis Blues — his second four-point contest in just 22 days. He’s is the only player to ever record two four-point contests at or beyond the age of 42, according to the Ducks and the Elias Sports Bureau.
Although the Finnish native is the first player to accomplish that feat twice, two other players had a single four-point contest after their 42nd birthday. Gordie Howe, who famously played into his 50s, scored a goal and registered three assists on Feb. 20, 1971 at the age of 42 and Hall of Famer Tim Horton had four assists on Jan. 15, 1972.
Through 11 games, Selanne now has 14 points. Amazingly, that makes this his best start since 1995-96, back when he was playing with the original Winnipeg Jets. His efforts on Saturday also put him into a tie with Adam Oates for 16th place on the NHL’s all-time points list with 1,420 in 1,352 career games.
- Could Lundqvist start Saturday for the Rangers? 6
- Five big games to watch this weekend 7
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 32
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 15
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 56
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 20
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)