Feb 11, 2013, 9:53 AM EDT
It’s hard to believe that Anaheim Ducks forward Teemu Selanne is actually 42. After all, his age certainly hasn’t slowed his production.
Selanne had a goal and four points in Saturday’s 6-5 shootout victory over the St. Louis Blues — his second four-point contest in just 22 days. He’s is the only player to ever record two four-point contests at or beyond the age of 42, according to the Ducks and the Elias Sports Bureau.
Although the Finnish native is the first player to accomplish that feat twice, two other players had a single four-point contest after their 42nd birthday. Gordie Howe, who famously played into his 50s, scored a goal and registered three assists on Feb. 20, 1971 at the age of 42 and Hall of Famer Tim Horton had four assists on Jan. 15, 1972.
Through 11 games, Selanne now has 14 points. Amazingly, that makes this his best start since 1995-96, back when he was playing with the original Winnipeg Jets. His efforts on Saturday also put him into a tie with Adam Oates for 16th place on the NHL’s all-time points list with 1,420 in 1,352 career games.
- Agent: Franson has spoken with ‘half a dozen’ teams (Updated) 7
- Your 2015 HHOF Class: Fedorov, Housley, Lidstrom, Pronger, Ruggiero 31
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder 94
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ 82
- Sens’ Chiasson headed for arbitration 1
- Pricey Platoon? Stars reportedly sign Niemi for three years, $13.5M 18
- Hodgson, Stalberg placed on unconditional waivers 24
- Buyouts loom as Richards, Parenteau and Fistric clear unconditional waivers 4
- UFA of the Day: Chris Stewart 18
- Penguins sign Ian Cole to a three-year, $6.3 million deal 11
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (96)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (86)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)
- Consensus reached: 5 minutes of 3-on-3 OT could be in place for 2015-16 (60)