Feb 11, 2013, 9:53 AM EDT
It’s hard to believe that Anaheim Ducks forward Teemu Selanne is actually 42. After all, his age certainly hasn’t slowed his production.
Selanne had a goal and four points in Saturday’s 6-5 shootout victory over the St. Louis Blues — his second four-point contest in just 22 days. He’s is the only player to ever record two four-point contests at or beyond the age of 42, according to the Ducks and the Elias Sports Bureau.
Although the Finnish native is the first player to accomplish that feat twice, two other players had a single four-point contest after their 42nd birthday. Gordie Howe, who famously played into his 50s, scored a goal and registered three assists on Feb. 20, 1971 at the age of 42 and Hall of Famer Tim Horton had four assists on Jan. 15, 1972.
Through 11 games, Selanne now has 14 points. Amazingly, that makes this his best start since 1995-96, back when he was playing with the original Winnipeg Jets. His efforts on Saturday also put him into a tie with Adam Oates for 16th place on the NHL’s all-time points list with 1,420 in 1,352 career games.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 52
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 42
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)