Feb 11, 2013, 9:53 AM EDT
It’s hard to believe that Anaheim Ducks forward Teemu Selanne is actually 42. After all, his age certainly hasn’t slowed his production.
Selanne had a goal and four points in Saturday’s 6-5 shootout victory over the St. Louis Blues — his second four-point contest in just 22 days. He’s is the only player to ever record two four-point contests at or beyond the age of 42, according to the Ducks and the Elias Sports Bureau.
Although the Finnish native is the first player to accomplish that feat twice, two other players had a single four-point contest after their 42nd birthday. Gordie Howe, who famously played into his 50s, scored a goal and registered three assists on Feb. 20, 1971 at the age of 42 and Hall of Famer Tim Horton had four assists on Jan. 15, 1972.
Through 11 games, Selanne now has 14 points. Amazingly, that makes this his best start since 1995-96, back when he was playing with the original Winnipeg Jets. His efforts on Saturday also put him into a tie with Adam Oates for 16th place on the NHL’s all-time points list with 1,420 in 1,352 career games.
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 21
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 16
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 27
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 61
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 61
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off 52
- Report: Leafs sign Franson to one year, $3.3 million deal 8
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M 58
- Report: Blue Jackets, Johansen make ‘significant progress’ toward deal 5
- Kane, Toews could’ve commanded $13.8M cap hits, says agent (83)
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (61)