Feb 11, 2013, 7:18 PM EDT
The Tampa Bay Lightning announced that forward Ryan Malone has been placed on injured reserve with a lower-body injury.
In his place, the club has recalled Richard Panik from AHL Syracuse. Panik was Tampa Bay’s second-round pick (52nd overall) at the 2009 NHL Entry Draft.
Details are minimal at the moment as to Malone’s injury, though Erik Erlendsson of the Tampa Tribune reports that Malone “apparently injured himself in some warmup game on Sunday.”
The injury is not believed to be serious.
The Lightning lost 5-1 to the Rangers on Sunday, and Malone was a late scratch for the contest (replaced in the lineup by Pierre-Cedric Labrie.)
Though he’ll likely return to the lineup soon, Malone could be a tough loss for the Lightning.
He often provided a physical net-front presence and a good nose for goal, scoring 4G-1A-5PTS through 10 games this season, including the game-winner against Ottawa on Jan. 25.
- Video: Flyers trounce slumping Penguins on Rivalry Night 29
- Video: Crosby scores goal No. 300 for his NHL career 5
- (Video) McKenzie: ‘Best guess is anywhere from 3-5 games’ for Byfuglien suspension 15
- Byfuglien to have phone hearing for Miller cross-check 44
- Patrick Kane is practicing today 30
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers won’t fool with Penguins on Rivalry Night 35
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 66
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 36
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 11
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 18
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller (66)
- Minnesota leapfrogs Chicago in the Central Division (65)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Sabres GM Tim Murray: ‘I think too much about’ McDavid (55)
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack (49)