Feb 11, 2013, 7:18 PM EDT
The Tampa Bay Lightning announced that forward Ryan Malone has been placed on injured reserve with a lower-body injury.
In his place, the club has recalled Richard Panik from AHL Syracuse. Panik was Tampa Bay’s second-round pick (52nd overall) at the 2009 NHL Entry Draft.
Details are minimal at the moment as to Malone’s injury, though Erik Erlendsson of the Tampa Tribune reports that Malone “apparently injured himself in some warmup game on Sunday.”
The injury is not believed to be serious.
The Lightning lost 5-1 to the Rangers on Sunday, and Malone was a late scratch for the contest (replaced in the lineup by Pierre-Cedric Labrie.)
Though he’ll likely return to the lineup soon, Malone could be a tough loss for the Lightning.
He often provided a physical net-front presence and a good nose for goal, scoring 4G-1A-5PTS through 10 games this season, including the game-winner against Ottawa on Jan. 25.
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 12
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 38
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 48
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 26
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)