Feb 11, 2013, 7:18 PM EST
The Tampa Bay Lightning announced that forward Ryan Malone has been placed on injured reserve with a lower-body injury.
In his place, the club has recalled Richard Panik from AHL Syracuse. Panik was Tampa Bay’s second-round pick (52nd overall) at the 2009 NHL Entry Draft.
Details are minimal at the moment as to Malone’s injury, though Erik Erlendsson of the Tampa Tribune reports that Malone “apparently injured himself in some warmup game on Sunday.”
The injury is not believed to be serious.
The Lightning lost 5-1 to the Rangers on Sunday, and Malone was a late scratch for the contest (replaced in the lineup by Pierre-Cedric Labrie.)
Though he’ll likely return to the lineup soon, Malone could be a tough loss for the Lightning.
He often provided a physical net-front presence and a good nose for goal, scoring 4G-1A-5PTS through 10 games this season, including the game-winner against Ottawa on Jan. 25.
- Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 0
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 17
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 82
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (68)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)