Feb 11, 2013, 7:18 PM EST
The Tampa Bay Lightning announced that forward Ryan Malone has been placed on injured reserve with a lower-body injury.
In his place, the club has recalled Richard Panik from AHL Syracuse. Panik was Tampa Bay’s second-round pick (52nd overall) at the 2009 NHL Entry Draft.
Details are minimal at the moment as to Malone’s injury, though Erik Erlendsson of the Tampa Tribune reports that Malone “apparently injured himself in some warmup game on Sunday.”
The injury is not believed to be serious.
The Lightning lost 5-1 to the Rangers on Sunday, and Malone was a late scratch for the contest (replaced in the lineup by Pierre-Cedric Labrie.)
Though he’ll likely return to the lineup soon, Malone could be a tough loss for the Lightning.
He often provided a physical net-front presence and a good nose for goal, scoring 4G-1A-5PTS through 10 games this season, including the game-winner against Ottawa on Jan. 25.
- Wild coach accuses Sharks of embellishment 0
- Lundqvist hooked after three first-period goals as Rangers’ woes continue 20
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 40
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 19
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 37
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 83
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (184)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)