Feb 11, 2013, 7:18 PM EST
The Tampa Bay Lightning announced that forward Ryan Malone has been placed on injured reserve with a lower-body injury.
In his place, the club has recalled Richard Panik from AHL Syracuse. Panik was Tampa Bay’s second-round pick (52nd overall) at the 2009 NHL Entry Draft.
Details are minimal at the moment as to Malone’s injury, though Erik Erlendsson of the Tampa Tribune reports that Malone “apparently injured himself in some warmup game on Sunday.”
The injury is not believed to be serious.
The Lightning lost 5-1 to the Rangers on Sunday, and Malone was a late scratch for the contest (replaced in the lineup by Pierre-Cedric Labrie.)
Though he’ll likely return to the lineup soon, Malone could be a tough loss for the Lightning.
He often provided a physical net-front presence and a good nose for goal, scoring 4G-1A-5PTS through 10 games this season, including the game-winner against Ottawa on Jan. 25.
- ‘We can build on this': Devils lose with Lou Lamoriello behind the bench 0
- Video: Nyquist scores OT winner on incredible individual effort 3
- Video: Ovechkin crushes Letang, Capitals cruise by the Penguins 4
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap 52
- Video: NHL on NBC panel breaks down the coaching situation in New Jersey 2
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 14
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 10
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap (51)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)