JVR faces former team tonight, leads Leafs in goals

Feb 11, 2013, 11:14 AM EST

James van Riemsdyk Getty Images

When Philadelphia drafted James van Riemsdyk second overall in 2007, he thought he would “win a Cup or two” and “sail off into the sunset” as a member of the Flyers.

But it didn’t turn out that way. In June – after a challenging 2011-12 season which injuries limited to just 43 appearances – van Riemsdyk was traded to the Maple Leafs for defenseman Luke Schenn.

Tonight, the 23-year-old faces his former team in Toronto as his new team’s leading goal-scorer (7).

“I’ve always said in the past that when I’m given the opportunity to be a key contributor, I’ve held up my end of the bargain and was a productive player,” JVR told reporters on Sunday, per CSNPhilly.com.

“For whatever reason, over the last year, with injuries, those types of things got in the way. But I always knew that I had confidence in myself and when given the opportunity that I would make the most of it.”

Van Riemsdyk showed flashes of potential in Philadelphia. He was dominant at times during the 2010-11 playoffs, scoring seven times in 11 games.

Whether the Flyers live to regret trading van Riemsdyk, we’ll have to wait and see. Schenn has been playing “good steady defense” for Philadelphia (coach Peter Laviolette’s words), but his upside is probably more limited.

“I had some great years and some great memories in Philadelphia,” said van Riemsdyk. “But that’s all in the past now and it’s time to focus on what’s ahead.”

1. xflyersx - Feb 11, 2013 at 11:17 AM

Miss him but at the same time it’s nice to have Schenn’s consistent, physical play on the blueline

• mclovinhockey - Feb 11, 2013 at 1:06 PM

I would miss him a lot less if we would have gotten Schenn and the 2nd like we could have gotten. JVR has a higher value than Luke Schenn any day

2. phillyphanatic77 - Feb 11, 2013 at 11:27 AM

It’s great to see JVR doing so well. He has unbelievable skills (when he’s using his size effectively). I personally hope he becomes the player he has the ability to be. But we’ve seen this type of production out of him before, then he disappears for half a season. Idk if that’s the case, or if he’s finally found consistency, but we’ll see. I’m still very happy with the trade. Luke Schenn has been excellent on the top pairing. He’s a hit machine, takes the right angles, and is learning from one of the best shot blockers in the league (Timonen). Even with JVRs production I’d still make this trade because Schenn has been invaluable on the backend. Plus we have enough streaky scorers. Should be a good game tonight.

3. broadstbully33 - Feb 11, 2013 at 11:39 AM

Fair trade on both ends IMO. Schenn has been very good thus far as a flyer, he has been very good along side kimo. I wish jvr all the best and hope he turns out to be the player he has inside of him. Staying healty and consistency was his bigges issues in Philly.

4. hockeywithdrawal - Feb 11, 2013 at 11:44 AM

Another Philadelphia success story – great to see.

• phillyphanatic77 - Feb 11, 2013 at 12:16 PM

Another facetious comment from hockeywithdrawal.

5. jpelle82 - Feb 11, 2013 at 11:52 AM

you guys keep telling yourselves that.

6. lionsflyersandredbirds - Feb 11, 2013 at 11:54 AM

James van Reimsdyk’s orange jersey has been officially delegated to the depths of my closet, alongside the likes of Mike Richards, Simone Gagne, and Rod Brind’Amour. Like those former Flyers that remain upon my hangers, I wish nothing but the best for JVR in his future north of the border. I will continue to root for his success, just not on days that he faces the boys in orange and black.

At the start of this season it seemed that Toronto was getting the best of the Schenn-JVR trade (hat tricks make for alot of hoopla), but the surge in physical play by Luke (#1 in hits with 46) and his recent decline in turnovers makes me feel as though things are starting to even themselves out.

Tonight should be an interesting game as two underperforming youngsters look to prove their former team’s management wrong. I wouldn’t be surprised to see Luke Schenn come out and take the body to Mr. van Riemsdyk early on.

Here’s to an exciting match-up! And as always; Go Flyers!

• hockeywithdrawal - Feb 11, 2013 at 12:09 PM

I was waiting for one of you to imply that someone should take a run at JVR. Stay classy, Philly. I actually think it will be the other Schenn, late and behind the play, as always.

• tightbutth0le - Feb 11, 2013 at 12:17 PM

And by waiting you mean hitting refresh on your browser every 3 seconds, because you have no life.

• hockeywithdrawal - Feb 11, 2013 at 12:44 PM

Nice name, creep.

• phillyphanatic77 - Feb 11, 2013 at 12:20 PM

You mean like James Neal, Craig Adams, Deryk Engelland, and Evgeni Malkin do. And lets not forget Sid, who’s adept at getting away with cheap shots as soon as the striped shirts turn their backs.

• hockeywithdrawal - Feb 11, 2013 at 12:42 PM

I disagree!

• lionsflyersandredbirds - Feb 11, 2013 at 12:21 PM

‘Take the body to’ and ‘take a run at’ are two completely different statements. Never did I (or would I) wish for anyone to injure anyone; let alone one of my favorite young players.

• tightbutth0le - Feb 11, 2013 at 12:28 PM

Don’t feed the troll, people.

• tightbutth0le - Feb 11, 2013 at 12:49 PM

a troll that’s never seen workaholics? now there’s a first

• tatdue - Feb 11, 2013 at 6:04 PM

When he gets a hat trick we’ll let you know….

7. slammed81 - Feb 11, 2013 at 12:18 PM

this guy is pathetic he drools when theres a post about the flyers so he can troll all day long and im shocked that u were waiting for a flyer fan to say for schenn to crush JVR…

8. brainoflindros - Feb 11, 2013 at 12:27 PM

JVR is absolutely correct. When given the opportunity. He was on a team with Richards, Carter, Breir, Giroux. His icetime was limited. However on Toronto he a first liner. Good to see him doing well. Schenn is a hit machine, its about time we have a d-man that can take the body. It should be a good match-up tonight.

• tightbutth0le - Feb 11, 2013 at 12:32 PM

its kinda true. He was given the opportnuity to prove himself a top line player with the flyers last year the first 10 games or so but he was not procuding at the same rate as Jagr and Giroux. That’s when they made the switch to Hartnell, and he jumped right on the production train. Meanwhile JVR got moved to a line with Voracek and Read, and while they showed nice chemistry, the points didnt come and injuries ended the year for JVR.

9. jaybird22seven - Feb 11, 2013 at 12:55 PM

This was a great trade for both teams. And both players are stand up guys. Luke has always been at the top for hits. His downfall is trying to deal with fast skating forwards. It will be a great game tonight for sure.

• jpelle82 - Feb 11, 2013 at 1:16 PM

if thats his downfall, then he is in trouble tonight. toronto is arguably the fastest team in the nhl…good luck

10. phillyphever - Feb 11, 2013 at 2:03 PM

Honestly, he needed to get out of Philly and go somewhere with a fresh start. Same with Luke Schenn. It’s one of those deals that’s best for both teams (and Brayden Schenn as well, playing with his brother).

Holiday wish lists for NHL teams
Top 10 NHL Player Searches