Feb 11, 2013, 2:23 PM EDT
Today, it was general manager Paul Holmgren’s turn.
“He’s been our best player — by far,” Holmgren told ESPN.com. “He’s been great. He’s had a great focus. Every game, he’s been great.”
Bryzgalov is 5-5-1 with a .921 save percentage – impressive stats made all the more important given the Flyers’ offensive struggles.
And unlike last season – his first in Philadelphia after signing a nine-year, $51 million contract – consistency has been a strength for Bryzgalov. The 32-year-old has only surrendered four goals once; otherwise it’s been three or fewer.
Besides goaltending, the Flyers (5-6-1) have little to brag about. After 12 games, they’re in the bottom half of the league in goals (2.4, 22nd), goals against (2.7, 16th), power play (17.3%, 17th), and penalty kill (77.4%, 22nd).
Philadelphia is in Toronto tonight to kick off a stretch of six straight road games. The Flyers have just one victory in six tries away from Wells Fargo Center.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 8
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 8
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 20
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 71
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)