Feb 11, 2013, 2:23 PM EDT
Today, it was general manager Paul Holmgren’s turn.
“He’s been our best player — by far,” Holmgren told ESPN.com. “He’s been great. He’s had a great focus. Every game, he’s been great.”
Bryzgalov is 5-5-1 with a .921 save percentage – impressive stats made all the more important given the Flyers’ offensive struggles.
And unlike last season – his first in Philadelphia after signing a nine-year, $51 million contract – consistency has been a strength for Bryzgalov. The 32-year-old has only surrendered four goals once; otherwise it’s been three or fewer.
Besides goaltending, the Flyers (5-6-1) have little to brag about. After 12 games, they’re in the bottom half of the league in goals (2.4, 22nd), goals against (2.7, 16th), power play (17.3%, 17th), and penalty kill (77.4%, 22nd).
Philadelphia is in Toronto tonight to kick off a stretch of six straight road games. The Flyers have just one victory in six tries away from Wells Fargo Center.
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? 50
- Playoffs Tonight: Senators confident they can beat Penguins 32
- Video: Kings denied a goal after quick whistle 29
- Tweet from L.A. Kings Twitter account stirs controversy 55
- Discuss: Sharks take Game 4, even semifinal series against Kings 14
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead 95
- Video: Callahan gets away with high-sticking Chara 30
- Playoffs Tonight: Kings look for ‘killer instinct’ against Sharks 10
- Brother says Patrick Roy will be Avs’ head coach 21
- Video: Controversy colors Blackhawks goal, disallowed score 58
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (90)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (80)
- McPhee says lack of power plays ‘didn’t feel right’; Torts says Washington is ‘whining’ (70)
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games
- PFT: Crabtree reportedly tears achilles, out for year
- HBT: Soriano calls out Harper after blown save
- PHT: Sharks take Game 4, pull even with Kings