Feb 11, 2013, 8:10 PM EDT
Following a sequence that saw Miikka Kiprusoff injured, Danny Taylor signed and Joey MacDonald claimed off waivers, plenty of questions arose regarding Calgary’s goaltending situation.
Soon, we’ll get some answers.
Flames GM Jay Feaster will reportedly address the media on Tuesday about that exact situation, a team spokesman told the Canadian Press.
As it stands, Calgary’s goaltending situation is this:
– Leland Irving is the temporary No. 1 and has started the last two games (vs. Vancouver and Columbus) after relieving Kiprusoff in last week’s win over Detroit. He’s 1-1-0 with a 3.40 GAA and .879 save percentage.
– Taylor served as the backup against the Canucks and Blue Jackets.
– Kiprusoff is on IR with a lower-body injury. He skated on Monday but did no standard goalie movements (ie: butterfly, knee bends.)
– TSN’s Bob McKenzie reports that if all goes well, Kiprusoff will return this week and MacDonald will become his No. 2.
– The Calgary Sun’s Randy Sportak brings up a good point: Why, if Kiprusoff is close to returning, the Flames would decide to add two contracts in Taylor and MacDonald, bringing them to 49 total?
Flames head coach Bob Hartley has forwarded all player personnel queries to Feaster.
As for the present — it was Irving and Taylor practicing prior to Monday’s home date with Minnesota, with MacDonald set to arrive in Calgary later in the evening.
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 2
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 8
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 32
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)