Feb 11, 2013, 8:10 PM EDT
Following a sequence that saw Miikka Kiprusoff injured, Danny Taylor signed and Joey MacDonald claimed off waivers, plenty of questions arose regarding Calgary’s goaltending situation.
Soon, we’ll get some answers.
Flames GM Jay Feaster will reportedly address the media on Tuesday about that exact situation, a team spokesman told the Canadian Press.
As it stands, Calgary’s goaltending situation is this:
— Leland Irving is the temporary No. 1 and has started the last two games (vs. Vancouver and Columbus) after relieving Kiprusoff in last week’s win over Detroit. He’s 1-1-0 with a 3.40 GAA and .879 save percentage.
— Taylor served as the backup against the Canucks and Blue Jackets.
— Kiprusoff is on IR with a lower-body injury. He skated on Monday but did no standard goalie movements (ie: butterfly, knee bends.)
— TSN’s Bob McKenzie reports that if all goes well, Kiprusoff will return this week and MacDonald will become his No. 2.
— The Calgary Sun’s Randy Sportak brings up a good point: Why, if Kiprusoff is close to returning, the Flames would decide to add two contracts in Taylor and MacDonald, bringing them to 49 total?
Flames head coach Bob Hartley has forwarded all player personnel queries to Feaster.
As for the present — it was Irving and Taylor practicing prior to Monday’s home date with Minnesota, with MacDonald set to arrive in Calgary later in the evening.
- Bruins sign three — Hayes, Connolly, and DeFazio 11
- Babcock expects Kadri to be ‘an elite player’ 14
- No expansion bid expected from Kansas City 33
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 17
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 12
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 13
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 14
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 12
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 25