Feb 10, 2013, 7:39 PM EST
The Tampa Bay Lightning must attempt to break their three-game losing streak without rugged forward Ryan Malone.
The 33-year-old forward will miss at least Sunday’s game against the New York Rangers, according to Erik Erlendsson of the Tampa Tribune. Malone is currently considered day-to-day with that vague issue.
Malone has four goals and one assist plus eight penalty minutes in 10 games so far. He carries a $4.5 million cap hit that will expire after the 2014-15 season.
Pierre-Cedric Labrie, 26, is set to move into the lineup in Malone’s absence. He’ll bring an extra level of toughness without Malone’s offensive skills. On the bright side, his nickname is “Nacho Labrie” in reference to the Jack Black movie, so that’s kind of fun.
Tampa Bay leads the NHL with 42 goals scored, but the Bolts have only found the net five times during their three-game skid.
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 21
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Fowler after Ducks’ win vs. Sharks: ‘We never give up’ 1
- Daly: Fehr’s lockout prediction ‘naive and uneducated’ 23
- Pens send Downie, Sutter, Greiss home for mumps test (Updated) 13
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (65)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Who are the Bruins targeting in trade talks? (47)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (42)