Feb 10, 2013, 3:12 PM EDT
It looked like the Los Angeles Kings were going to get at least a well-earned charity point on Sunday, but a late Jonathan Ericsson goal gave the Detroit Red Wings a 3-2 regulation win instead. Let’s get to the talking points.
- Jimmy Howard rarely receives many plaudits, yet he’s been putting up strong numbers recently. Is it time to really start considering him an elite goalie?
- Speaking of elite goalies, Jonathan Quick had a mostly solid afternoon but still let precious standings points slip away. Can he get it together this season?
- On that note, the unavoidable: will the Kings be able to pull another rabbit out of a hat and make a late postseason run again? They’re tied for the least points in the West with eight points and are five points behind the Dallas Stars (13) and St. Louis Blues (13) for one of the two last playoff spots.
- Detroit’s now in fifth place, extending its winning streak to three games. Should the Red Wings be considered a contender as usual?
- While Pavel Datsyuk dazzled as always, Henrik Zetterberg was the game’s second star with two assists and strong overall play. Do we forget about the Red Wings captain too easily when discussing all-world players?
Here are highlights from today’s wild game.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 52
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 42
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)