Feb 10, 2013, 10:35 PM EST
After all these years – and making it to the 2012 Stanley Cup finals – you’d think people would stop doubting the New Jersey Devils.
Either way, they continued their hot streak on Sunday, taking the second of back-to-back games against the Pittsburgh Penguins with a 3-1 win. That’s the same score from Saturday’s win.
The Devils have won five in a row by a combined score of 16-5, pushing their overall record to 8-1-3 for 19 points. That’s the best mark in the East and second highest total overall behind the Chicago Blackhawks.
This all provides an argument that New Jersey is for real and the same assessment might be appropriate for budding power forward David Clarkson.
The 28-year-old winger scored twice against Pittsburgh tonight to push his season total to nine goals. Overall, he has an impressive 15 points and 50 shots on goal in 12 games.
Many believed that he played over his head last season with a breakthrough 30-goal, 46-point campaign. Now it’s starting to look like it was just a prelude, which is great for both the Devils and Clarkson (who’s an unrestricted free agent this summer).
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 0
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 2
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 6
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 12
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 5
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 82
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- NHL grants Kings cap relief for Voynov, who’s still suspended indefinitely 31
- Trade: Stars get Demers from Sharks, send Dillon to San Jose 18
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (82)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)