Feb 9, 2013, 10:35 PM EDT
The Toronto Maple Leafs’ 6-0 win over the Montreal Canadiens produced at least two shocking sights on Saturday night. One was the score; the other happened when Mikhail Grabovski seemingly snacked on Max Pacioretty‘s hand:
That was the wildest moment from a game that unraveled, especially in the third period. Take a gander at the penalty summary from the final frame alone:
1:09 – Mark Fraser fought Brandon Prust
7:59 – Michael Kostka fought Brenden Gallagher (instigator included)
11:30 – Both Grabovski and Brandon Prust received minor penalties and were ejected during the munching melee. Pacioretty was also tossed.
12:17 – A benign hold from Tomas Plekanec.
15:01 – Josh Gorges fought Frazer McLaren. Colton Orr was handed a game misconduct for roughing Rene Bourque.
19:14 – Bourque also received a game misconduct.
Well, that escalated quickly.
It’s anyone’s guess how Brendan Shanahan might punish (or avoid punishing) Grabovski, 29, for the incident.
For one example, the Bergen Record’s Tom Guilliti recalls when Derian Hatcher allegedly bit Travis Zajac during a Jan. 4, 2008 contest between the Philadelphia Flyers and New Jersey Devils. Hatcher’s supposed nibble apparently made Zajac bleed but didn’t leave bite marks, so the tough defenseman got off the hook.
Pacioretty, 24, just seems like a magnet for strange twists like these. He bounced back from that infamous Zdeno Chara hit, just recovered from an emergency appendectomy and now experienced this odd exchange.
This isn’t the only time biting accusations have come up lately, by the way. Chris Stewart accused Derek Dorsett of doing so on Jan. 31 while a Swiss player was fined for biting John Tavares in the late stages of the lockout.
This concludes a 3-0-0 road trip for the Maple Leafs. In case you’re wondering, the next game between the Habs and Buds takes place on Feb. 27.
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 4
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 11
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 62
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 31
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (62)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Arena deal in jeopardy? Glendale mayor requests investigation into ‘clear violation’ of state law (42)
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal (42)