Feb 9, 2013, 10:35 PM EDT
The Toronto Maple Leafs’ 6-0 win over the Montreal Canadiens produced at least two shocking sights on Saturday night. One was the score; the other happened when Mikhail Grabovski seemingly snacked on Max Pacioretty‘s hand:
That was the wildest moment from a game that unraveled, especially in the third period. Take a gander at the penalty summary from the final frame alone:
1:09 – Mark Fraser fought Brandon Prust
7:59 – Michael Kostka fought Brenden Gallagher (instigator included)
11:30 – Both Grabovski and Brandon Prust received minor penalties and were ejected during the munching melee. Pacioretty was also tossed.
12:17 – A benign hold from Tomas Plekanec.
15:01 – Josh Gorges fought Frazer McLaren. Colton Orr was handed a game misconduct for roughing Rene Bourque.
19:14 – Bourque also received a game misconduct.
Well, that escalated quickly.
It’s anyone’s guess how Brendan Shanahan might punish (or avoid punishing) Grabovski, 29, for the incident.
For one example, the Bergen Record’s Tom Guilliti recalls when Derian Hatcher allegedly bit Travis Zajac during a Jan. 4, 2008 contest between the Philadelphia Flyers and New Jersey Devils. Hatcher’s supposed nibble apparently made Zajac bleed but didn’t leave bite marks, so the tough defenseman got off the hook.
Pacioretty, 24, just seems like a magnet for strange twists like these. He bounced back from that infamous Zdeno Chara hit, just recovered from an emergency appendectomy and now experienced this odd exchange.
This isn’t the only time biting accusations have come up lately, by the way. Chris Stewart accused Derek Dorsett of doing so on Jan. 31 while a Swiss player was fined for biting John Tavares in the late stages of the lockout.
This concludes a 3-0-0 road trip for the Maple Leafs. In case you’re wondering, the next game between the Habs and Buds takes place on Feb. 27.
- Canucks ready to face Luongo on Sunday 1
- West update: Stars blow lead yet still improve hold on wild card spot 4
- East update: Red Wings eke out shootout win for key points 0
- Luongo continues to foil Schneider as Panthers damage Devils’ playoff hopes 3
- TGIF: In which we salivate over potential playoff matchups 10
- Backstrom to receive silver medal, IOC says Sweden doctor ‘made a serious error’ 29
- Pens lose Neal to concussion 61
- Here are the top 10 and bottom 10 goalies in even-strength save percentage 22
- Weekend preview: Flyers-Pens rivalry renewed, Bruins look to stay hot 13
- Video: Stamkos scores first goal since returning to Lightning lineup 4
- Here are three ‘major changes’ the NHL should consider (98)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (74)
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter (62)
- Pens lose Neal to concussion (61)
- Video: Dryden on why hockey should ‘give up the fighting, but keep the fight’ (57)