Feb 9, 2013, 10:35 PM EST
The Toronto Maple Leafs’ 6-0 win over the Montreal Canadiens produced at least two shocking sights on Saturday night. One was the score; the other happened when Mikhail Grabovski seemingly snacked on Max Pacioretty‘s hand:
That was the wildest moment from a game that unraveled, especially in the third period. Take a gander at the penalty summary from the final frame alone:
1:09 – Mark Fraser fought Brandon Prust
7:59 – Michael Kostka fought Brenden Gallagher (instigator included)
11:30 – Both Grabovski and Brandon Prust received minor penalties and were ejected during the munching melee. Pacioretty was also tossed.
12:17 – A benign hold from Tomas Plekanec.
15:01 – Josh Gorges fought Frazer McLaren. Colton Orr was handed a game misconduct for roughing Rene Bourque.
19:14 – Bourque also received a game misconduct.
Well, that escalated quickly.
It’s anyone’s guess how Brendan Shanahan might punish (or avoid punishing) Grabovski, 29, for the incident.
For one example, the Bergen Record’s Tom Guilliti recalls when Derian Hatcher allegedly bit Travis Zajac during a Jan. 4, 2008 contest between the Philadelphia Flyers and New Jersey Devils. Hatcher’s supposed nibble apparently made Zajac bleed but didn’t leave bite marks, so the tough defenseman got off the hook.
Pacioretty, 24, just seems like a magnet for strange twists like these. He bounced back from that infamous Zdeno Chara hit, just recovered from an emergency appendectomy and now experienced this odd exchange.
This isn’t the only time biting accusations have come up lately, by the way. Chris Stewart accused Derek Dorsett of doing so on Jan. 31 while a Swiss player was fined for biting John Tavares in the late stages of the lockout.
This concludes a 3-0-0 road trip for the Maple Leafs. In case you’re wondering, the next game between the Habs and Buds takes place on Feb. 27.
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 4
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (75)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)