Feb 9, 2013, 1:59 PM EST
Kings coach Darryl Sutter is not usually a guy to mince words. When something bothers him, he’ll tell it like it is. In Drew Doughty‘s case, he’s probably wishing he played better.
Sutter tells Jon Rosen of L.A. Kings Insider he hasn’t been thrilled with Doughty’s play this season and doesn’t believe he’s pressing his play.
“I just don’t think he’s good enough early in games. That’s not pressing. We expect a lot out of him. He and his partner are on the ice for too many goals against.”
So far this year, Doughty has a plus/minus rating of -8 and with the Kings not exactly filling the net early on offensively, that deficit helps explain the team’s 3-4-2 start to the year. Doughty does have four assists this season and those four points tie him with Jeff Carter for second on the team. On the downside, there are six Kings players with five points.
It could be worse for Doughty though, Sutter could send him away to his farm to shovel cow manure to teach him a lesson.
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 5
- Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 43
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 12
- Neal admits kneeing Marchand was ‘not the smartest decision’ 68
- Leafs captain Phaneuf suspended two games for boarding 37
- Rangers confirm Staal suffered concussion 8
- Winnipeg to get outdoor game; Phoenix wants one 33
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 156
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 104
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 136
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (136)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)