Feb 9, 2013, 1:59 PM EST
Kings coach Darryl Sutter is not usually a guy to mince words. When something bothers him, he’ll tell it like it is. In Drew Doughty‘s case, he’s probably wishing he played better.
Sutter tells Jon Rosen of L.A. Kings Insider he hasn’t been thrilled with Doughty’s play this season and doesn’t believe he’s pressing his play.
“I just don’t think he’s good enough early in games. That’s not pressing. We expect a lot out of him. He and his partner are on the ice for too many goals against.”
So far this year, Doughty has a plus/minus rating of -8 and with the Kings not exactly filling the net early on offensively, that deficit helps explain the team’s 3-4-2 start to the year. Doughty does have four assists this season and those four points tie him with Jeff Carter for second on the team. On the downside, there are six Kings players with five points.
It could be worse for Doughty though, Sutter could send him away to his farm to shovel cow manure to teach him a lesson.
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 17
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 22
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 15
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 74
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Wild need two points from NHL-leading Preds 20
- Video: Potential No. 1 overall pick Connor McDavid goes end-to-end, top shelf 9
- Video: Penguins hold on to beat Capitals for first time this season 28
- Video: Fight erupts between Penguins and Capitals inside Pittsburgh’s bench 40
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (75)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (65)