Feb 9, 2013, 1:59 PM EDT
Kings coach Darryl Sutter is not usually a guy to mince words. When something bothers him, he’ll tell it like it is. In Drew Doughty‘s case, he’s probably wishing he played better.
Sutter tells Jon Rosen of L.A. Kings Insider he hasn’t been thrilled with Doughty’s play this season and doesn’t believe he’s pressing his play.
“I just don’t think he’s good enough early in games. That’s not pressing. We expect a lot out of him. He and his partner are on the ice for too many goals against.”
So far this year, Doughty has a plus/minus rating of -8 and with the Kings not exactly filling the net early on offensively, that deficit helps explain the team’s 3-4-2 start to the year. Doughty does have four assists this season and those four points tie him with Jeff Carter for second on the team. On the downside, there are six Kings players with five points.
It could be worse for Doughty though, Sutter could send him away to his farm to shovel cow manure to teach him a lesson.
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 4
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 9
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 3
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 22
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 10
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 38
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 12
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)