Feb 9, 2013, 1:01 PM EST
The Buffalo Sabres’ struggles are well-noted at this point, but now you can put a face to them in the form of Tyler Myers.
The 22 year-old defenseman will be a healthy scratch against the Islanders tonight and, as The Buffalo News’ John Vogl notes, coach Lindy Ruff was skating him hard at the conclusion of today’s skate. Myers tells Vogl he’s ashamed at how he’s played.
“I’m embarrassed, and I should be,” said Myers, who was benched for a game early last season. “Two years in a row now. It doesn’t feel very good, but silver lining, I responded the way I needed to last time, and this is what I have to do this time.”
Myers is in the first year of a seven-year, $38.5 million extension that pays him $12 million this season. He’s struggled mightily so far this season looking lost in the defensive zone with a league-low plus/minus of -9 (tied with Blake Wheeler and David Jones) and he’s got just one goal and no assists offensively.
Ruff has been looking to find ways to shake things up and benching Myers tonight does just that. How he responds after this is vitally important to the team.
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 1
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 1
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 27
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 11
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension 40
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks 52
- Report: NHL set to finally pay Gretzky at least $7M 15
- Kadri out as falling Leafs start tough stretch vs. Sharks 9
- Wounded Wings: Zetterberg (back) out, joins Datsyuk on shelf 7
- Burrows out with broken jaw (Update: expected to miss at least four weeks) 22
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (52)
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension (40)
- Panthers announced attendance Tuesday night lowest since 2008 (37)
- Islanders embarrassed in fifth consecutive loss (33)