Feb 9, 2013, 1:01 PM EDT
The Buffalo Sabres’ struggles are well-noted at this point, but now you can put a face to them in the form of Tyler Myers.
The 22 year-old defenseman will be a healthy scratch against the Islanders tonight and, as The Buffalo News’ John Vogl notes, coach Lindy Ruff was skating him hard at the conclusion of today’s skate. Myers tells Vogl he’s ashamed at how he’s played.
“I’m embarrassed, and I should be,” said Myers, who was benched for a game early last season. “Two years in a row now. It doesn’t feel very good, but silver lining, I responded the way I needed to last time, and this is what I have to do this time.”
Myers is in the first year of a seven-year, $38.5 million extension that pays him $12 million this season. He’s struggled mightily so far this season looking lost in the defensive zone with a league-low plus/minus of -9 (tied with Blake Wheeler and David Jones) and he’s got just one goal and no assists offensively.
Ruff has been looking to find ways to shake things up and benching Myers tonight does just that. How he responds after this is vitally important to the team.
- Ducks hold off spirited Stars comeback, take 1-0 series lead 5
- Weise gives Canadiens 1-0 series lead with overtime win 7
- Penguins outlast Blue Jackets, take Game 1 46
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 79
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 36
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 57
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 35
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 10
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 42
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers (79)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? (57)