Feb 9, 2013, 10:15 AM EDT
The Minnesota Wild are struggling and their inability to score goals is a key reason why.
With just 22 goals scored this season, the Wild are in the bottom-five of the league in offense. Only Zach Parise is getting things done scoring six of his own and, as Chip Scoggins of The Star Tribune reports, coach Mike Yeo is trying to fix it.
“We’re trying to do everything we can to find the right solution, whether it’s to spark guys or find the right mix,” Yeo said. “Usually there’s a method to the madness too. We’re not just trying catch lightning in a bottle here. We want to make sure we put something together that we feel can work more than just in the short term.”
The Wild have juggled their lines and brought up fresh blood from the AHL in Charlie Coyle to try and find a spark but nothing’s worked yet.
While Yeo has gotten the semi-dreaded “vote of confidence” by the GM, the stress of a shortened season on top of spending nearly $200 million on free agents could force change if the fans in Minnesota stay restless.
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 16
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 10
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 42
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 54
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 19
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 31
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 45
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 6
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 16
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (54)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (42)
- Richards: If not for the cap, half the league would want to play for Hawks (36)