Feb 9, 2013, 6:00 AM EDT
When it comes to putting up points, Toronto Maple Leafs defenseman Dion Phaneuf has performed reasonably well throughout his now eight-year National Hockey League career.
Except for this, the 2013 lockout shortened season.
Once a 60-point producer with the Calgary Flames, the team that originally drafted him, Phaneuf has one assist through the first 11 games of this season with Toronto.
“I know I’m expected to put up numbers. It’s part of the style that I play,” Phaneuf told the Toronto Star Friday.
“(The points will) come. I’ve gone through stretches before. And I feel good personally the way that I’m playing. I definitely would like to produce. That’s part of my job. But it will come.”
The Leafs will take on the Montreal Canadiens on the road at the Bell Centre Saturday. It was there, back on Jan. 19, that the 27-year-old blue liner recorded that only assist.
His struggles to contribute on the score sheet seem to have people questioning Phaneuf’s captaincy. The Leafs, under the guidance of former general manager Brian Burke at that time, appointed Phaneuf to the position back in June of 2010.
On Thursday, Rob MacNeil, a blogger for Fan Fuel, which appears on Sportsnet.ca, posted a poll question asking: “Who should be the captain of the Toronto Maple Leafs?”
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 90
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 28
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5
- Wild assistant Sydor arrested for suspected drunk driving, child endangerment 30
- It’s Montreal Canadiens day at PHT 14
- Capitals’ biggest question: Is this finally the year? 32