Feb 9, 2013, 6:00 AM EST
When it comes to putting up points, Toronto Maple Leafs defenseman Dion Phaneuf has performed reasonably well throughout his now eight-year National Hockey League career.
Except for this, the 2013 lockout shortened season.
Once a 60-point producer with the Calgary Flames, the team that originally drafted him, Phaneuf has one assist through the first 11 games of this season with Toronto.
“I know I’m expected to put up numbers. It’s part of the style that I play,” Phaneuf told the Toronto Star Friday.
“(The points will) come. I’ve gone through stretches before. And I feel good personally the way that I’m playing. I definitely would like to produce. That’s part of my job. But it will come.”
The Leafs will take on the Montreal Canadiens on the road at the Bell Centre Saturday. It was there, back on Jan. 19, that the 27-year-old blue liner recorded that only assist.
His struggles to contribute on the score sheet seem to have people questioning Phaneuf’s captaincy. The Leafs, under the guidance of former general manager Brian Burke at that time, appointed Phaneuf to the position back in June of 2010.
On Thursday, Rob MacNeil, a blogger for Fan Fuel, which appears on Sportsnet.ca, posted a poll question asking: “Who should be the captain of the Toronto Maple Leafs?”
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder 65
- Trade: Capitals land Glencross, Flames get two picks 23
- Flames place Giordano on IR 5
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 28
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 73
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 1
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 5
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (146)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (73)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)