Feb 9, 2013, 3:41 PM EDT
Phil Kessel‘s future in Toronto is a hot topic amongst Maple Leafs fans and with good reason. The Leafs are struggling and with Kessel having one more year after this left on his contract, many think he could be traded if the Leafs fall out of the playoff hunt.
James Mirtle of The Globe And Mail asked Kessel’s agent, Wade Arnott, if there’s a chance he could re-sign with the team. Arnott was in no hurry to start talking about that.
“The season is just 11 games old,” Arnott said. “I know Phil is only focusing on the next game. We’ll see what the off-season brings, but I know he enjoys playing for the Leafs and living in a hockey market.”
Yes, it may be a bit too early to start talking about extensions, but Toronto is in an odd place between deciding if they’re going to push for the playoffs or rebuilding completely. It’s never not fun when it comes to the Leafs.
- Kane’s OT goal ties Blackhawks – Blues series at 2-2 11
- Stars chase Andersen, tie series with Ducks 2-2 12
- Penguins blow three-goal lead, Columbus evens series 66
- NHL suspends Matt Cooke for seven games 89
- Ducks’ Getzlaf (upper body) isn’t available for Game 4 (Updated) 3
- Two years after winning the Cup, the Kings’ ‘mix’ comes into question 39
- Duck drama: Selanne to sit as healthy scratch in Game 4 15
- MacKinnon, Johnson and Palat named Calder Trophy finalists 12
- Sharks beat Kings in OT, take 3-0 stranglehold on series 43
- Rangers chase Emery, top Flyers for 2-1 series lead 56
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (136)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)