Feb 9, 2013, 6:59 PM EDT
The New York Islanders will finally get to add two pieces to their lineup on Saturday. (In case you’re wondering, Tim Thomas isn’t one of those guys.)
Erstwhile defenseman Lubomir Visnovsky and forward Josh Bailey are set to play against the Buffalo Sabres tonight after taking very different paths to Long Island.
As you likely already know, Visnovsky fought a trade that sent him from the Anaheim Ducks to the Islanders in the off-season. The 36-year-old kept busy with Bratislava in the KHL during the lockout and will finally begin to honor the last year of his NHL deal in today’s contest.
Meanwhile, Bailey had his knee scoped in January and appears healthy to play. The team went through the formality of suspending the 23-year-old for injury-related reasons but it doesn’t appear that there are any hard feelings.
However Visnovsky and Bailey might feel about the Islanders, they have plenty to gain by performing well. Each player is in the final year of their current contracts (Visnovsky will be unrestricted while Bailey is scheduled to be an RFA), so a lot can be gained if they push this team over the top to true contender status.
- Subban: Contract in arbitrator’s hands now 18
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 23
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 64
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 9
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 32
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 47
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (64)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Poll: Is Drew Doughty the best defenseman in the world? (58)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (47)