Feb 9, 2013, 1:00 AM EDT
Apparently the Washington Capitals lack in the department of traditional hockey fans, based on the comments of Mike Knuble.
During an interview with Sportsradio 94WIP in Philadelphia, the current Flyers winger said: “Washington you see like everybody’s a new fan, nobody’s from there, really. They’re kinda just jumping on the bandwagon…”
On audio clip of the nearly 12-minute interview can be found on DC Sports Nexus.
Knuble, 40, spent the last three seasons with the Capitals prior to 2012-13. He was also with Philadelphia for the four seasons prior to joining the Capitals.
The Capitals originally struggled in terms of overall attendance following the 2004-05 lockout, averaging around 13,900 fans per game in the two seasons afterward.
But, with the addition of 2004 first-round and first overall pick Alex Ovechkin and a team that captured four straight Southeast Division titles from 2008 to 2011, the Capitals have averaged more than 18,000 fans per game since the 2008-09 season.
Jun 18, 2013, 4:47 PM EDT
“I’ve got a nice little scratch mark on my forehead from the claw marks.”
Jun 18, 2013, 4:42 PM EDT
23-year-old defenseman had six goals in the playoffs.
Jun 18, 2013, 4:13 PM EDT
26-year-old made his NHL debut last season.
Jun 18, 2013, 3:26 PM EDT
But will they stay?
Jun 18, 2013, 3:18 PM EDT
Could an NHL team one day call it home?
Jun 18, 2013, 3:07 PM EDT
As per TSN’s Bob McKenzie.
Jun 18, 2013, 2:49 PM EDT
He’s still “day-to-day” with his injury.
Jun 18, 2013, 2:18 PM EDT
He’s been given permission to seek employment elsewhere.
Jun 18, 2013, 2:16 PM EDT
“We don’t care about calling certain guys superstars on our team,” said the coach.
Jun 18, 2013, 1:38 PM EDT
Hey, he did take two weeks off.
Jun 18, 2013, 1:19 PM EDT
The Isles are one team that’s reportedly interested.
Jun 18, 2013, 1:12 PM EDT
Former North Dakota standout was a 2009 Panthers draftee.
Jun 18, 2013, 12:56 PM EDT
The No. 2 overall pick at the 2013 NHL Entry Draft is ready to go.
Jun 18, 2013, 12:29 PM EDT
Former ‘Hawks assistant takes over the Caps’ minor-league team.
Jun 18, 2013, 12:22 PM EDT
They’ll suit up for AK Bars Kazan next season.
Jun 18, 2013, 11:15 AM EDT
Detroit has its core players locked up.
Jun 18, 2013, 10:40 AM EDT
They’re just two wins away from their second championship in the last three seasons.
Jun 18, 2013, 10:40 AM EDT
They’ve agreed to a new partnership.
Jun 18, 2013, 10:29 AM EDT
Those aren’t the investors.
Jun 18, 2013, 9:51 AM EDT
They don’t have a lot of cap room and might look at alternate means of creating space.
- Marchand accuses ‘kitty cat’ Shaw of eye gouging 0
- Quenneville says Hossa is ‘likely’ to play Game 4 7
- Datsyuk announces three-year, $22.5 million extension with Red Wings 10
- Bruins go ‘above and beyond’ to take 2-1 series lead 41
- Chicago’s powerless power play — it’s a problem 4
- Discuss: Bruins smother ‘Hawks, take 2-1 series lead 89
- Marian Hossa won’t play in Game 3 11
- Report: Flyers, Streit agree to four-year, $21 million deal 37
- Playoffs Tonight: We’re tied going into Boston 9
- Writer: NHL playoffs are ‘annoying’ 79
- Can Heat focus enough to avoid elimination?
- CSN: Bruins' defense never rests in Game 3 win
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- PFT: Freed Johnson wants second chance in NFL
- PBT: Judges rules Iverson did not kidnap children
- PFT: Rodgers says Packers' moves a 'wake-up call'
- PFT: Beckham turned down chance to kick in NFL