Feb 9, 2013, 1:00 AM EDT
Apparently the Washington Capitals lack in the department of traditional hockey fans, based on the comments of Mike Knuble.
During an interview with Sportsradio 94WIP in Philadelphia, the current Flyers winger said: “Washington you see like everybody’s a new fan, nobody’s from there, really. They’re kinda just jumping on the bandwagon…”
On audio clip of the nearly 12-minute interview can be found on DC Sports Nexus.
Knuble, 40, spent the last three seasons with the Capitals prior to 2012-13. He was also with Philadelphia for the four seasons prior to joining the Capitals.
The Capitals originally struggled in terms of overall attendance following the 2004-05 lockout, averaging around 13,900 fans per game in the two seasons afterward.
But, with the addition of 2004 first-round and first overall pick Alex Ovechkin and a team that captured four straight Southeast Division titles from 2008 to 2011, the Capitals have averaged more than 18,000 fans per game since the 2008-09 season.
- Playoffs tonight: Spezza’s Game 3 return, Bruins-Rangers highlight your Sunday 5
- Penner blasts refs for having ‘gall to guess’ on goalie interference call 54
- Discuss: Sharks win in OT, draw series to 2-1 19
- NHL fines Sharks $100K for Torres suspension critique 44
- Toews has beef with officiating after Game 2 loss 55
- Discuss: Red Wings even up series, take down Chicago 4-1 27
- No surgery needed for Eric Staal following injury at Worlds 3
- Playoffs tonight: Detroit and San Jose look to change things up 3
- Bruins’ Hamilton: ‘I don’t feel like a rookie anymore’ 26
- Penguins’ Murray: ‘We need to be better’ 8
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (93)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Capitals discuss ‘lopsided’ penalty calls (82)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (79)
- Play Video: Highlights: Sharks take critical Game 3 in OT
- Play Video: Stuart lands huge hit on Williams
- Play Video: Toffoli gets Kings on the board
- Play Video: Sharks take advantage of early penalty
- Play Video: Highlights: Red Wings even series, thump Blackhawks
- Play Video: Filppula scores impressive, unbalanced goal