Feb 9, 2013, 9:18 PM EST
The Calgary Flames will see 25-year-old rookie Ben Street play his first NHL game thanks to a banged-up squad.
Mikael Backlund (hip flexor) joins Michael Cammalleri (knee) as recently injured Flames forwards. The Calgary Herald reports that Cammalleri, 30, will probably play in Calgary’s next game versus the Minnesota Wild on Monday, yet Street receives at least one chance to make an impression.
Street grew up close to Rogers Arena in Coquitlam, B.C., so it’ll be like a storybook debut for him against Cory Schneider, 26, and the Vancouver Canucks on Saturday night.
“I don’t know what else I would add into it,” Street said. “At home, on Hockey Night in Canada, where you grew up – I don’t think there’s anything I could add to it at this point.”
Scoring a goal (or gaining a win) against Schneider & Co. would be a nice cherry on top.
(H/T to Rotoworld)
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 11
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 12
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 28
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 17
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 15
- Four goals: Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 62
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 13
- Neal admits kneeing Marchand was ‘not the smartest decision’ 80
- Leafs captain Phaneuf suspended two games for boarding 37
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)