Feb 9, 2013, 9:18 PM EST
The Calgary Flames will see 25-year-old rookie Ben Street play his first NHL game thanks to a banged-up squad.
Mikael Backlund (hip flexor) joins Michael Cammalleri (knee) as recently injured Flames forwards. The Calgary Herald reports that Cammalleri, 30, will probably play in Calgary’s next game versus the Minnesota Wild on Monday, yet Street receives at least one chance to make an impression.
Street grew up close to Rogers Arena in Coquitlam, B.C., so it’ll be like a storybook debut for him against Cory Schneider, 26, and the Vancouver Canucks on Saturday night.
“I don’t know what else I would add into it,” Street said. “At home, on Hockey Night in Canada, where you grew up – I don’t think there’s anything I could add to it at this point.”
Scoring a goal (or gaining a win) against Schneider & Co. would be a nice cherry on top.
(H/T to Rotoworld)
- Trade: Stars get Demers from Sharks, send Dillon to San Jose 1
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now 54
- Dallas signs Jason Spezza to four-year, $30 million extension 17
- Video: Ovechkin with an unreal dangle, scores game-winner 15
- Video: Avs’ Tanguay takes Ovechkin shot to the face (Updated) 4
- Video: Lindros and LeClair inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 12
- BREAKING: Voynov charged with felony for domestic violence 33
- NHL responds to concussion lawsuit, says players should have ‘put two and two together’ 40
- (Video) PHT Extra: Carlyle’s on the hot seat, Hartley’s riding high 0
- Hextall launched profanity-laced tirade against Flyers last night 36
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (54)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)
- Video: Malkin runs over Girardi (Updated) (41)