Feb 9, 2013, 9:18 PM EDT
The Calgary Flames will see 25-year-old rookie Ben Street play his first NHL game thanks to a banged-up squad.
Mikael Backlund (hip flexor) joins Michael Cammalleri (knee) as recently injured Flames forwards. The Calgary Herald reports that Cammalleri, 30, will probably play in Calgary’s next game versus the Minnesota Wild on Monday, yet Street receives at least one chance to make an impression.
Street grew up close to Rogers Arena in Coquitlam, B.C., so it’ll be like a storybook debut for him against Cory Schneider, 26, and the Vancouver Canucks on Saturday night.
“I don’t know what else I would add into it,” Street said. “At home, on Hockey Night in Canada, where you grew up – I don’t think there’s anything I could add to it at this point.”
Scoring a goal (or gaining a win) against Schneider & Co. would be a nice cherry on top.
(H/T to Rotoworld)
- Kings’ Quick ‘didn’t have to work hard’ in shutout win over Sharks 4
- Discuss: Kings dominate Game 5, one win away from Western Conference final 17
- Discuss: Red Wings take 3-1 series lead 35
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win 69
- What they’re saying about the Avs hiring Patrick Roy 6
- It’s official: Colorado names Roy sixth head coach in franchise history 46
- Couture accuses Kings captain Brown of diving 38
- Three reasons why the Rangers might buy out Richards 26
- Richards made a healthy scratch for Game 4 35
- Don Cherry: Canucks GM Gillis threw coaches ‘under the bus’ 28
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (113)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Watch LIVE: Sharks-Kings, Game 5
- PHT: Wings push Hawks to brink of elimination
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Posnanski: Hornets more than a name to Charlotte
- Play Video: Highlights: Kings beat Sharks, take series lead
- Play Video: Brown takes out goalie Niemi
- Play Video: Demers commits reckless penalty
- Play Video: Demers slashes Doughty, but no call made
- Play Video: Niemi robs Carter to preserve tie
- Play Video: Highlights: Wings take 3-1 series lead over 'Hawks