Feb 9, 2013, 7:54 PM EDT
The Anaheim Ducks shuffled their lineup as they prepare to face the St. Louis Blues on Saturday and adjust to having Jonas Hiller out of action.
The 30-year-old netminder’s lower-body injury earned him a day-to-day designation, according to the OC Register. Because of that ailment, journeyman goalie Jeff Deslauriers, 28, will back up surging 30-year-old “rookie” Viktor Fasth tonight.
Anaheim’s moves weren’t just goalie-related, either.
The Ducks’ defense saw some minor alterations with Sami Vatanen, 21, and Jordan Hendry, 28, being sent to the minors. It appears that recent trade addition Ben Lovejoy, 28, pushed one of them out, while the Ducks hope that Cam Fowler, 21, can recover from a recent head injury enough to at least travel with the team during their upcoming three-game road trip.
Even with some shuffling, the Ducks are in a favorable position early on. Despite losing to the Dallas Stars 3-1 on Friday, Anaheim could move atop the Pacific Division with a win tonight after the San Jose Sharks lost to the Phoenix Coyotes 1-0 (SO) in the early evening.
- MacKinnon, Johnson and Palat named Calder Trophy finalists 3
- Sharks beat Kings in OT, take 3-0 stranglehold on series 38
- Rangers chase Emery, top Flyers for 2-1 series lead 54
- Bruins dominate Red Wings, take 2-1 series lead 42
- And then there were 15: Lightning eliminated 75
- WATCH LIVE: San Jose Sharks at Los Angeles Kings (Game 3) 2
- Bettman says shootouts are staying, gives salary cap estimate 34
- Video: Yeo asked if Cooke told to ‘target’ Avs, does not like question 48
- On Matt Cooke and whether he’s a ‘repeat offender’ 59
- Marleau, O’Reilly and St. Louis named Lady Byng finalists 20
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (127)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)