Feb 9, 2013, 7:54 PM EDT
The Anaheim Ducks shuffled their lineup as they prepare to face the St. Louis Blues on Saturday and adjust to having Jonas Hiller out of action.
The 30-year-old netminder’s lower-body injury earned him a day-to-day designation, according to the OC Register. Because of that ailment, journeyman goalie Jeff Deslauriers, 28, will back up surging 30-year-old “rookie” Viktor Fasth tonight.
Anaheim’s moves weren’t just goalie-related, either.
The Ducks’ defense saw some minor alterations with Sami Vatanen, 21, and Jordan Hendry, 28, being sent to the minors. It appears that recent trade addition Ben Lovejoy, 28, pushed one of them out, while the Ducks hope that Cam Fowler, 21, can recover from a recent head injury enough to at least travel with the team during their upcoming three-game road trip.
Even with some shuffling, the Ducks are in a favorable position early on. Despite losing to the Dallas Stars 3-1 on Friday, Anaheim could move atop the Pacific Division with a win tonight after the San Jose Sharks lost to the Phoenix Coyotes 1-0 (SO) in the early evening.
- Ducks win crazy Game 5, push ‘Hawks to edge of elimination 13
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Game 5 of Western Conference Final 2
- In the playoffs, sometimes it comes down to the ‘bounces’ 3
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 26
- Here’s the latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 3
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 9
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 19
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 17
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 75
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)