Feb 9, 2013, 7:54 PM EST
The Anaheim Ducks shuffled their lineup as they prepare to face the St. Louis Blues on Saturday and adjust to having Jonas Hiller out of action.
The 30-year-old netminder’s lower-body injury earned him a day-to-day designation, according to the OC Register. Because of that ailment, journeyman goalie Jeff Deslauriers, 28, will back up surging 30-year-old “rookie” Viktor Fasth tonight.
Anaheim’s moves weren’t just goalie-related, either.
The Ducks’ defense saw some minor alterations with Sami Vatanen, 21, and Jordan Hendry, 28, being sent to the minors. It appears that recent trade addition Ben Lovejoy, 28, pushed one of them out, while the Ducks hope that Cam Fowler, 21, can recover from a recent head injury enough to at least travel with the team during their upcoming three-game road trip.
Even with some shuffling, the Ducks are in a favorable position early on. Despite losing to the Dallas Stars 3-1 on Friday, Anaheim could move atop the Pacific Division with a win tonight after the San Jose Sharks lost to the Phoenix Coyotes 1-0 (SO) in the early evening.
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 32
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 2
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 14
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 10
- Eichel earns assist and scores in shootout as U.S. squeaks by Finland 2
- Canada enters World Juniors as 11/10 favorite; USA next at 9/4 5
- Devils fire DeBoer 21
- More mumps: Downie and Greiss test positive 7
- Orpik reflects on ‘outside pressure’ in Pittsburgh 21
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)