Feb 9, 2013, 5:02 PM EDT
Martin Brodeur went out of his way to make his 1,200th game with the Devils a memorable one.
Not only did he keep a loaded Penguins team mostly off the scoreboard in a 3-1 victory, he also made sure to make an incredible stop on Evgeni Malkin late to keep the Pens from threatening and had to make a great stop on… Marc-Andre Fleury?
Late in the second period with the Devils killing a penalty, Brodeur lost his stick in the corner. As the Devils cleared the puck, Fleury came out to play it all the way back down the ice while Brodeur was retrieving it. The puck clanged off the post and skittered under Brodeur’s feet and stayed out of the net.
Words can only do so much justice so thankfully there’s video. [YouTube]
New Jersey’s win moved them to the top of the Eastern Conference for the time being. As for Brodeur’s acrobatics, if you’d rather have it in GIF form, Backhand Shelf has your hookup.
- Big money: Tarasenko signs eight-year, $60 million extension with Blues 74
- Blackhawks extend TVR through 2017-18 3
- Good start: McDavid scores five in Oilers scrimmage 32
- Caps ink Kuznetsov to two-year, $6 million extension 9
- Bruins sign three — Hayes, Connolly, and DeFazio 12
- Babcock expects Kadri to be ‘an elite player’ 15
- No expansion bid expected from Kansas City 37
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 17
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 12
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 15
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Expansion process underway as NHL sends out applications (94)
- Big money: Tarasenko signs eight-year, $60 million extension with Blues (75)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)