Feb 9, 2013, 5:02 PM EDT
Martin Brodeur went out of his way to make his 1,200th game with the Devils a memorable one.
Not only did he keep a loaded Penguins team mostly off the scoreboard in a 3-1 victory, he also made sure to make an incredible stop on Evgeni Malkin late to keep the Pens from threatening and had to make a great stop on… Marc-Andre Fleury?
Late in the second period with the Devils killing a penalty, Brodeur lost his stick in the corner. As the Devils cleared the puck, Fleury came out to play it all the way back down the ice while Brodeur was retrieving it. The puck clanged off the post and skittered under Brodeur’s feet and stayed out of the net.
Words can only do so much justice so thankfully there’s video. [YouTube]
New Jersey’s win moved them to the top of the Eastern Conference for the time being. As for Brodeur’s acrobatics, if you’d rather have it in GIF form, Backhand Shelf has your hookup.
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 0
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 8
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 4
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 24
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 9
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)