Feb 8, 2013, 3:37 PM EST
Bertuzzi, 38, was in pain following the Red Wings’ 5-1 win over St. Louis on Thursday. The Free Press’ Helene St. James noted that Bertuzzi “could barely walk” after the game, the latest issue he’s had with a back ailment that’s plagued him over the past decade.
Detroit GM Ken Holland has called up Joakim Andersson from AHL Grand Rapids to replace Bertuzzi. The 24-year-old Swede has good size — 6-foot-2, 206 pounds — and appeared in five games for the Wings last season.
It’s unclear if Bertuzzi will miss just the Edmonton game, or Detroit’s game on Sunday against the defending Stanley Cup champion Kings as well.
Whatever the case, the injury is just the latest to hit Detroit, and has to be cause for concern.
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 37
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 59
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 18
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 35
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 12
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 50
- Wild get Stewart as Buffalo-to-Minnesota pipeline continues 53
- Jordan Leopold’s daughter may have orchestrated the Minnesota trade 17
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils 68
- Can the Wings and Leafs work out a deal for Phaneuf? 49
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder (69)