Feb 8, 2013, 3:37 PM EDT
Bertuzzi, 38, was in pain following the Red Wings’ 5-1 win over St. Louis on Thursday. The Free Press’ Helene St. James noted that Bertuzzi “could barely walk” after the game, the latest issue he’s had with a back ailment that’s plagued him over the past decade.
Detroit GM Ken Holland has called up Joakim Andersson from AHL Grand Rapids to replace Bertuzzi. The 24-year-old Swede has good size — 6-foot-2, 206 pounds — and appeared in five games for the Wings last season.
It’s unclear if Bertuzzi will miss just the Edmonton game, or Detroit’s game on Sunday against the defending Stanley Cup champion Kings as well.
Whatever the case, the injury is just the latest to hit Detroit, and has to be cause for concern.
- Discuss: Sharks take Game 4, even semifinal series 2-2 against Kings 0
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead 48
- Video: Callahan gets away with high-sticking Chara 21
- Playoffs Tonight: Kings look for ‘killer instinct’ against Sharks 10
- Brother says Patrick Roy will be Avs’ head coach 21
- Video: Controversy colors Blackhawks goal, disallowed score 56
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago 88
- Video: Viktor Stalberg returns after head-first sprawl into boards 2
- Brown, Toews, Alfredsson up for Messier Leadership Award 9
- Playoffs Tonight: Blackhawks look to ‘ramp up our intensity’ vs Red Wings 13
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (88)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (80)
- McPhee says lack of power plays ‘didn’t feel right’; Torts says Washington is ‘whining’ (70)
- Penner blasts refs for having ‘gall to guess’ on goalie interference call (64)
- Sharks pull even with Kings
- Live Extra: Watch NHL Live postgame show
- PBT: Cavs win NBA draft lottery, will pick No. 1
- Spurs survive Grizzlies' late run, win in OT
- PHT: Bruins rally in third, put Rangers in 3-0 hole
- Durant pledges $1 million for tornado victims
- GTC: Garcia offers Tiger 'fried chicken' for dinner