Trotz snaps at reporter over Weber, later apologizes

Feb 8, 2013, 1:24 AM EST

Nashville Predators head coach Barry Trotz looks on prior to the start of the game against the Los Angeles Kings at Staples Center on January 31, 2013 in Los Angeles, California.
(January 30, 2013 - Source: Jeff Gross/Getty Images North America) Getty Images

The Nashville Predators had a great game on Thursday. Pekka Rinne earned a 32-save shutout to lead them to a 3-0 victory over the Los Angeles Kings.

Predators defenseman Shea Weber also got his first point of the season in the process, but when a reporter started to talk about that to Predators coach Barry Trotz, he took it the wrong way. After weeks of talks about Weber’s struggles, Trotz seems used to defending the 27-year-old captain.

“I haven’t been concerned at all,” Trotz said, according to examiner.com. “You can stop right there. You can stop right there.

“You are saying he is not playing well. I am telling you, he is playing Norris Trophy. He is playing Norris Trophy caliber. I don’t care if he gets any points. You do obviously. I don’t.

“Shea cares about winning and we have been winning and that’s the most important thing. He plays every night against the top guys in the league. He (didn’t) score a goal last year in the first ten games and he ended up with 19 or 18 last year.

“I am not worried about him. That’s the end of the subject. He is a top defenseman.

“There wouldn’t be another defenseman I would trade him for. I don’t give a crap if he gets a point and he doesn’t either. We just worry about winning and that’s what we are doing. That’s the end I am going to talk about that.”

Through the PR staff, Trotz later apologized, according to the Los Angeles Times’ Lisa Dillman.

1. ikillchicken - Feb 8, 2013 at 1:50 AM

“There wouldn’t be another defenseman I would trade him for. ”

Yeah. I’d agree with that. Chara is close or maybe even as good but also 35. Doughty is somewhat close but not as physical and sometimes inconsistent. And at the end of the day, Weber has put up better numbers than both guys on a much worse team.

2. chaseutley - Feb 8, 2013 at 1:51 AM

I’m not sure what he has to apologize for. Well said.

3. xjokerz - Feb 8, 2013 at 3:50 AM

Yeah I’m not to sure what he’s apologizing for as well. Sounds good to me

4. mcarmody - Feb 8, 2013 at 7:08 AM

Trotz had both middle fingers in the air the whole time he was talking, hence the apology.

• timsabourin - Feb 8, 2013 at 1:12 PM

+1000000000000000000000000

5. hockeydon10 - Feb 8, 2013 at 9:58 AM

To be honest, these coaches have far more patience with reporters than I ever would. Usually it’s the same damn questions over and over. Sprinkle that in with some agenda to push a narrative about Weber under-performing and I’d be telling them to go pound sand.

I really can’t blame Trotz. And I don’t like the Predators.

6. 19to77 - Feb 8, 2013 at 10:06 AM

Apologized for what, talking sense? The Preds look solid through their last couple of games despite Weber not producing on the scoreboard. Clearly, he doesn’t absolutely need to for them to win, and if he’s doing the right things defensively, he’s still doing his part for the team to win.

• 19to77 - Feb 8, 2013 at 10:09 AM

Durr. Too early in the morning for non-redundant sentences. =/

7. scionofflame - Feb 8, 2013 at 12:05 PM

It wasn’t a big deal honestly. Trotz got heated and the reporter he snapped at (Jim Diamond @diamondhockey) wasn’t really all that offended. It happens, though his question never got finished before Trotz assumed what it was about and shut him down.

Barry’s usually pretty cool with the media, but sometimes the patience runs thin. Not like he’s Torts’ing all over the place over in Nashville. :D

8. seanaveryrules - Feb 8, 2013 at 3:04 PM

Shea Weber just might be the WORST player in league history

Holiday wish lists for NHL teams
Top 10 NHL Player Searches