Feb 8, 2013, 1:24 AM EST
Predators defenseman Shea Weber also got his first point of the season in the process, but when a reporter started to talk about that to Predators coach Barry Trotz, he took it the wrong way. After weeks of talks about Weber’s struggles, Trotz seems used to defending the 27-year-old captain.
“I haven’t been concerned at all,” Trotz said, according to examiner.com. “You can stop right there. You can stop right there.
“You are saying he is not playing well. I am telling you, he is playing Norris Trophy. He is playing Norris Trophy caliber. I don’t care if he gets any points. You do obviously. I don’t.
“Shea cares about winning and we have been winning and that’s the most important thing. He plays every night against the top guys in the league. He (didn’t) score a goal last year in the first ten games and he ended up with 19 or 18 last year.
“I am not worried about him. That’s the end of the subject. He is a top defenseman.
“There wouldn’t be another defenseman I would trade him for. I don’t give a crap if he gets a point and he doesn’t either. We just worry about winning and that’s what we are doing. That’s the end I am going to talk about that.”
Through the PR staff, Trotz later apologized, according to the Los Angeles Times’ Lisa Dillman.
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 154
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 98
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 119
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 15
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 90
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 88
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 69
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (181)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (154)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (128)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (119)
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller (98)