Feb 8, 2013, 3:23 PM EDT
Shawn Thornton understood the risks when he dropped the gloves with big John Scott last Thursday in Boston.
Sure, the fight — which left the Bruins’ forward with a concussion — could’ve gone better. But hey, that’s the gig.
So to those observers who suggested Thornton should’ve skated away from Scott’s challenge, that’s not how he operates.
“Obviously with Buffalo, they brought [Scott] in probably because of our team,” said Thornton yesterday, per CSNNE.com. “It’s my job to make sure that I’m available for that, so it’s not one of our star players that has to do it. That’s part of my role. And I accept it fully.
“I wish it went differently. I knew it was going to happen, and it was better to get it out of the way early. Would you rather that, or wait until he does something stupid and I have to deal with it? It was out of the way and it was a non-factor after that, I think.”
As for the notion that Boston defenseman Zdeno Chara (6’9, 255 lbs), was a better match physically for Scott (6’8, 258 lbs)?
“I don’t even know where that [bleep] comes from,” said Thornton (6’2, 217 lbs).
“[Chara]‘s our best player and arguably the best defenseman in the league. There’s no reason for him to have to fight my battles. I’ve done this for a long time, and it’s on me.”
- PHT Extra: What happens if the Caps miss the playoffs? 0
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 6
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 45
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 10
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 25
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 17
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 8
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 25
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 45
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)