Feb 8, 2013, 7:41 PM EST
After a lengthy, drama-filled process, it appears Lubomir Visnovsky will finally play for the New York Islanders.
According to Newsday’s Arthur Staple, a pair of sources claim the 36-year-old rearguard will make his Isles debut on Saturday against Buffalo.
Visnovsky had been suspended by the Islanders for failing to report to training camp after he attempted (unsuccessfully) to stay in the KHL for the rest of the season.
Prior to that, he tried to void the trade that sent him from Anaheim to Long Island.
But with all that drama behind him — well, we assume it’s behind him — the veteran passed his physical on Friday and appears primed to play a major role for the Isles.
Staple reports Visnovsky will man the point of New York’s top power-play unit, taking over for Frans Nielsen.
On that note, head coach Jack Capuano says he’s hoping to see the skills and offensive flair that saw Visnovsky lead all NHL defensemen in scoring in 2010-11 (with 68 points).
“We expect what we’ve seen in the past from him,” Capuano said. “He gives us another puck-moving defenseman that can join the rush. We don’t generate a lot from our blue line right now. It’s evident with the amount of goals we’ve scored.
“If you look around the league, successful teams have defensemen who score big goals at key times.”
Nov 24, 2014, 5:30 PM EST
A rematch of the 2013 Eastern Conference Final.
Nov 24, 2014, 4:22 PM EST
Also, Brad Marchand’s off IR.
Nov 24, 2014, 4:11 PM EST
Another veteran d-man gets a look.
Nov 24, 2014, 3:41 PM EST
Combined cap hit? $1.76 million.
Combined points? 34.
Nov 24, 2014, 3:37 PM EST
Tonight on NBCSN.
Nov 24, 2014, 2:56 PM EST
News and notes from around the crease…
Nov 24, 2014, 1:47 PM EST
Yes, that picture is a hint.
Nov 24, 2014, 1:43 PM EST
Habs sit atop the NHL standings, yet face a bunch of questions.
Nov 24, 2014, 12:35 PM EST
Injured during Saturday’s win over Detroit.
Nov 24, 2014, 12:30 PM EST
Dustin Schwartz will replace Frederic Chabot.
Nov 24, 2014, 12:13 PM EST
There’s a headline I never expected to type.
Nov 24, 2014, 12:09 PM EST
Just his second NHL game of the season.
Nov 24, 2014, 11:37 AM EST
Canucks rookie who models his game after Jonathan Toews has four points in his last two games.
Nov 24, 2014, 11:12 AM EST
Click for video of said “mistake.”
Nov 24, 2014, 11:05 AM EST
Two-time Jack Adams winner coached Canada to Olympic gold in 2002.
Nov 24, 2014, 10:55 AM EST
The new Holmstrom?
Nov 24, 2014, 10:23 AM EST
The latter’s in response to Roman Polak’s injury.
Nov 24, 2014, 10:03 AM EST
The Penguins in general have been spending a lot of time in the sin bin.
Nov 24, 2014, 9:22 AM EST
He’ll be in Tampa Bay for the first time since the move on Wednesday.
Nov 24, 2014, 8:44 AM EST
David Pastrnak might make his NHL debut.
- With worst save percentage in NHL, Oilers fire goalie coach 20
- Pat Quinn, ‘one of hockey’s most respected individuals,’ has died 11
- NHL on NBCSN: Bruins seek perfect game vs. Penguins 8
- Legendary hockey coach Viktor Tikhonov has died 14
- Canucks’ Hamhuis placed on IR 3
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 31
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 17
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 99
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 5
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 8
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (99)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)