Feb 8, 2013, 7:41 PM EDT
After a lengthy, drama-filled process, it appears Lubomir Visnovsky will finally play for the New York Islanders.
According to Newsday’s Arthur Staple, a pair of sources claim the 36-year-old rearguard will make his Isles debut on Saturday against Buffalo.
Visnovsky had been suspended by the Islanders for failing to report to training camp after he attempted (unsuccessfully) to stay in the KHL for the rest of the season.
Prior to that, he tried to void the trade that sent him from Anaheim to Long Island.
But with all that drama behind him — well, we assume it’s behind him — the veteran passed his physical on Friday and appears primed to play a major role for the Isles.
Staple reports Visnovsky will man the point of New York’s top power-play unit, taking over for Frans Nielsen.
On that note, head coach Jack Capuano says he’s hoping to see the skills and offensive flair that saw Visnovsky lead all NHL defensemen in scoring in 2010-11 (with 68 points).
“We expect what we’ve seen in the past from him,” Capuano said. “He gives us another puck-moving defenseman that can join the rush. We don’t generate a lot from our blue line right now. It’s evident with the amount of goals we’ve scored.
“If you look around the league, successful teams have defensemen who score big goals at key times.”
- Sharks get Jones from Bruins for first-round pick and unsigned prospect 20
- Hurricanes to buy out Semin 12
- Bruins are talking to teams about Savard, but not Rask 3
- Report: Richards part of police investigation 25
- UFA of the Day: Mike Green 4
- Agent: Franson has spoken with ‘half a dozen’ teams (Updated) 8
- Your 2015 HHOF Class: Fedorov, Housley, Lidstrom, Pronger, Ruggiero 39
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder 104
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ 88
- Sens’ Chiasson headed for arbitration 1
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (104)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (88)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)
- Consensus reached: 5 minutes of 3-on-3 OT could be in place for 2015-16 (60)