Feb 8, 2013, 7:41 PM EDT
After a lengthy, drama-filled process, it appears Lubomir Visnovsky will finally play for the New York Islanders.
According to Newsday’s Arthur Staple, a pair of sources claim the 36-year-old rearguard will make his Isles debut on Saturday against Buffalo.
Visnovsky had been suspended by the Islanders for failing to report to training camp after he attempted (unsuccessfully) to stay in the KHL for the rest of the season.
Prior to that, he tried to void the trade that sent him from Anaheim to Long Island.
But with all that drama behind him — well, we assume it’s behind him — the veteran passed his physical on Friday and appears primed to play a major role for the Isles.
Staple reports Visnovsky will man the point of New York’s top power-play unit, taking over for Frans Nielsen.
On that note, head coach Jack Capuano says he’s hoping to see the skills and offensive flair that saw Visnovsky lead all NHL defensemen in scoring in 2010-11 (with 68 points).
“We expect what we’ve seen in the past from him,” Capuano said. “He gives us another puck-moving defenseman that can join the rush. We don’t generate a lot from our blue line right now. It’s evident with the amount of goals we’ve scored.
“If you look around the league, successful teams have defensemen who score big goals at key times.”
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 8
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 3
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 24
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 23
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 19
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 20
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 10
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 32
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)