Feb 8, 2013, 10:01 PM EDT
Brent Burns, the San Jose Sharks 27-year-old defenseman who hasn’t played a game this season due to a lower body injury, could play Saturday, according to a report from CSN Bay Area.
Burns is coming off off-season hernia/groin surgery, and has been a participant at practice this week. The Sharks host the Phoenix Coyotes Saturday.
“It’s an indication he’s getting closer. I think the better indicator is the amount of participation of him in practice in comparison to other weeks,” Sharks head coach Todd McLellan told CSN Bay Area.
“He was physical today, he did every drill, [and] he was involved in the power play and penalty kill part of it.”
McLellan added that Burns playing Saturday “…may be pushing it.”
Burns, a former first-round pick of the Minnesota Wild, had 11 goals and 37 points in 81 games in his first season with the Sharks last year.
Burns is only two years removed from a career season, in which he tallied 17 goals and 46 points with the Wild.
According to Curtis Pashelka of the San Jose Mercury News, Burns will make the Sharks’ upcoming road trip through the Central Division, beginning Monday against the Columbus Blue Jackets.
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 21
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 16
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 27
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 61
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 61
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off 52
- Report: Leafs sign Franson to one year, $3.3 million deal 8
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M 58
- Report: Blue Jackets, Johansen make ‘significant progress’ toward deal 5
- Kane, Toews could’ve commanded $13.8M cap hits, says agent (83)
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (62)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)