Feb 8, 2013, 10:01 PM EST
Brent Burns, the San Jose Sharks 27-year-old defenseman who hasn’t played a game this season due to a lower body injury, could play Saturday, according to a report from CSN Bay Area.
Burns is coming off off-season hernia/groin surgery, and has been a participant at practice this week. The Sharks host the Phoenix Coyotes Saturday.
“It’s an indication he’s getting closer. I think the better indicator is the amount of participation of him in practice in comparison to other weeks,” Sharks head coach Todd McLellan told CSN Bay Area.
“He was physical today, he did every drill, [and] he was involved in the power play and penalty kill part of it.”
McLellan added that Burns playing Saturday “…may be pushing it.”
Burns, a former first-round pick of the Minnesota Wild, had 11 goals and 37 points in 81 games in his first season with the Sharks last year.
Burns is only two years removed from a career season, in which he tallied 17 goals and 46 points with the Wild.
According to Curtis Pashelka of the San Jose Mercury News, Burns will make the Sharks’ upcoming road trip through the Central Division, beginning Monday against the Columbus Blue Jackets.
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 14
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 58
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 28
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 16
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 81
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Wild need two points from NHL-leading Preds 21
- Video: Potential No. 1 overall pick Connor McDavid goes end-to-end, top shelf 9
- Video: Penguins hold on to beat Capitals for first time this season 32
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (81)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (65)