Feb 8, 2013, 10:01 PM EDT
Brent Burns, the San Jose Sharks 27-year-old defenseman who hasn’t played a game this season due to a lower body injury, could play Saturday, according to a report from CSN Bay Area.
Burns is coming off off-season hernia/groin surgery, and has been a participant at practice this week. The Sharks host the Phoenix Coyotes Saturday.
“It’s an indication he’s getting closer. I think the better indicator is the amount of participation of him in practice in comparison to other weeks,” Sharks head coach Todd McLellan told CSN Bay Area.
“He was physical today, he did every drill, [and] he was involved in the power play and penalty kill part of it.”
McLellan added that Burns playing Saturday “…may be pushing it.”
Burns, a former first-round pick of the Minnesota Wild, had 11 goals and 37 points in 81 games in his first season with the Sharks last year.
Burns is only two years removed from a career season, in which he tallied 17 goals and 46 points with the Wild.
According to Curtis Pashelka of the San Jose Mercury News, Burns will make the Sharks’ upcoming road trip through the Central Division, beginning Monday against the Columbus Blue Jackets.
- Could Lundqvist start Saturday for the Rangers? 5
- Five big games to watch this weekend 6
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 32
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 28
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 35
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 32
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 14
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 54
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 20
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (55)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)