Feb 8, 2013, 10:01 PM EDT
Brent Burns, the San Jose Sharks 27-year-old defenseman who hasn’t played a game this season due to a lower body injury, could play Saturday, according to a report from CSN Bay Area.
Burns is coming off off-season hernia/groin surgery, and has been a participant at practice this week. The Sharks host the Phoenix Coyotes Saturday.
“It’s an indication he’s getting closer. I think the better indicator is the amount of participation of him in practice in comparison to other weeks,” Sharks head coach Todd McLellan told CSN Bay Area.
“He was physical today, he did every drill, [and] he was involved in the power play and penalty kill part of it.”
McLellan added that Burns playing Saturday “…may be pushing it.”
Burns, a former first-round pick of the Minnesota Wild, had 11 goals and 37 points in 81 games in his first season with the Sharks last year.
Burns is only two years removed from a career season, in which he tallied 17 goals and 46 points with the Wild.
According to Curtis Pashelka of the San Jose Mercury News, Burns will make the Sharks’ upcoming road trip through the Central Division, beginning Monday against the Columbus Blue Jackets.
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 27
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 26
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 5
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Ruff blasts Dallas for playing ‘garbage hockey’ vs. Flyers 7
- Schwartz’s first career hat trick leads Blues past Coyotes 2
- Giroux nets OT winner as Flyers top Stars 3
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Discuss: Avs beat B’s with last-second — literally! — goal (64)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Panthers set another record with low attendance (56)