Feb 8, 2013, 12:57 AM EDT
Going into Thursday’s game against the Phoenix Coyotes, Blackhawks coach Joel Quenneville told CSN Chicago that winning was the way to get even for what happened during the 2012 playoffs. Well, Chicago did that and more tonight.
In Phoenix Coyotes forward Raffi Torres‘ first game against the Chicago Blackhawks since he delivered a hit that hospitalized and concussed Marian Hossa, Torres and Chicago’s Jamal Mayers were quick to drop their gloves.
Both players got in some big blows in the first period sparring match, but in the end, it was Chicago that was energized by the fight.
The Blackhawks followed the fight up with four unanswered goals within the span of 10:08 minutes. Phoenix played a more even game over the final 40 minutes and Torres even found the back of the net, but the damage was done.
After the game, Chicago’s players were singing Mayers’ praises for his role in this contest.
“It takes a lot of guts to do something like that. …Credit to Jamal for doing it, that’s the toughest job in the game,” Blackhawks forward Patrick Sharp said, according to Chicago Sun Times writer Mark Lazerus. Sharp also tips his cap to Torres for participating in the brawl.
Chicago improved to a stunning 9-0-2 with its 6-2 victory over Phoenix.
Apr 26, 2015, 4:15 PM EDT
That’s one Allen has to have.
Apr 26, 2015, 3:45 PM EDT
He suffered two concussions this season.
Apr 26, 2015, 2:40 PM EDT
Habs and Wild look to advance with Game 6 wins.
Apr 26, 2015, 2:00 PM EDT
The newly appointed Edmonton executive is already busy in his new role.
Apr 26, 2015, 1:15 PM EDT
Eric Fehr would be ready for the second round.
Apr 26, 2015, 12:30 PM EDT
Philly fired Craig Berube on April 17.
Apr 26, 2015, 12:00 PM EDT
He last played at the 2006 tournament.
Apr 26, 2015, 11:30 AM EDT
He didn’t play the second half of Friday night’s win.
Apr 26, 2015, 11:15 AM EDT
Chorney and Dumoulin could also head back to Wilkes-Barre for their playoff run.
Apr 26, 2015, 10:30 AM EDT
He’s been a healthy scratch for three games.
Apr 26, 2015, 9:45 AM EDT
Blues and Sens need wins to force Game 7
Apr 26, 2015, 12:07 AM EDT
Another big rally at the Saddledome.
Apr 25, 2015, 11:03 PM EDT
A six-game series that felt like (at least) seven.
Apr 25, 2015, 10:31 PM EDT
Wild stuff at the Saddledome tonight.
Apr 25, 2015, 9:59 PM EDT
Vancouver looking to avoid elimination for the second straight game.
Apr 25, 2015, 9:55 PM EDT
Zero goals in five playoff games.
Apr 25, 2015, 9:18 PM EDT
A healthy tally.
Apr 25, 2015, 8:50 PM EDT
Putting on a clinic.
Apr 25, 2015, 8:41 PM EDT
Corey Crawford’s back in.
Apr 25, 2015, 7:37 PM EDT
The Islanders won 3-1 in Game 6.
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 2
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 13
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 12
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 24
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 49
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 22
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 42
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 10
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 19
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 (76)