Feb 8, 2013, 12:57 AM EDT
Going into Thursday’s game against the Phoenix Coyotes, Blackhawks coach Joel Quenneville told CSN Chicago that winning was the way to get even for what happened during the 2012 playoffs. Well, Chicago did that and more tonight.
In Phoenix Coyotes forward Raffi Torres‘ first game against the Chicago Blackhawks since he delivered a hit that hospitalized and concussed Marian Hossa, Torres and Chicago’s Jamal Mayers were quick to drop their gloves.
Both players got in some big blows in the first period sparring match, but in the end, it was Chicago that was energized by the fight.
The Blackhawks followed the fight up with four unanswered goals within the span of 10:08 minutes. Phoenix played a more even game over the final 40 minutes and Torres even found the back of the net, but the damage was done.
After the game, Chicago’s players were singing Mayers’ praises for his role in this contest.
“It takes a lot of guts to do something like that. …Credit to Jamal for doing it, that’s the toughest job in the game,” Blackhawks forward Patrick Sharp said, according to Chicago Sun Times writer Mark Lazerus. Sharp also tips his cap to Torres for participating in the brawl.
Chicago improved to a stunning 9-0-2 with its 6-2 victory over Phoenix.
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 23
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 33
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 28
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting (44)