Feb 8, 2013, 12:57 AM EDT
Going into Thursday’s game against the Phoenix Coyotes, Blackhawks coach Joel Quenneville told CSN Chicago that winning was the way to get even for what happened during the 2012 playoffs. Well, Chicago did that and more tonight.
In Phoenix Coyotes forward Raffi Torres‘ first game against the Chicago Blackhawks since he delivered a hit that hospitalized and concussed Marian Hossa, Torres and Chicago’s Jamal Mayers were quick to drop their gloves.
Both players got in some big blows in the first period sparring match, but in the end, it was Chicago that was energized by the fight.
The Blackhawks followed the fight up with four unanswered goals within the span of 10:08 minutes. Phoenix played a more even game over the final 40 minutes and Torres even found the back of the net, but the damage was done.
After the game, Chicago’s players were singing Mayers’ praises for his role in this contest.
“It takes a lot of guts to do something like that. …Credit to Jamal for doing it, that’s the toughest job in the game,” Blackhawks forward Patrick Sharp said, according to Chicago Sun Times writer Mark Lazerus. Sharp also tips his cap to Torres for participating in the brawl.
Chicago improved to a stunning 9-0-2 with its 6-2 victory over Phoenix.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 0
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 7
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 52
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 24
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 18
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 15
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)