Habs’ White now residing in Therrien’s doghouse (w/video)

Feb 8, 2013, 2:01 PM EDT

Hopefully Ryan White likes kibble.

It’s all he might be getting for a while.

The rugged Montreal forward has taken up residence in head coach Michel Therrien’s doghouse after a costly, undisciplined incident during Thursday’s 5-4 shootout loss to Buffalo.

With the Habs up 4-2 midway through the third period, White took a double roughing minor — going after Buffalo pest Steve Ott — that allowed the Sabres back into the game:

Thomas Vanek scored on the four-minute power play and would tie up the game with just two seconds remaining in regulation.

As for Therrien, here are a few of his choice quotes regarding White’s actions:

– “I thought it was a good time to get Ryan White back in the lineup. It wasn’t my best decision.” (link)

– “This is the third time this year he put his team in trouble. Clearly undisciplined and unacceptable.” (link)

– “The game was under control before the penalties he took. So, disappointed.” (link)

White had been out of the lineup since Jan. 30’s 5-1 loss in Ottawa — a game in which he was called for roughing and assessed an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty for arguing the call, which resulted in the Senators scoring two power play goals.

He may have been trying to make an impression last night, but it clearly went the wrong way.

The 24-year-old was remorseful after the contest.

“Obviously, it was a selfish play,” White told the Montreal Gazette. “I thought [Ott] went kind of low on me and that’s what he does. He’s a smart player and I reacted in the wrong way.

“I cost my teammates another two points.”

1. hockeywithdrawal - Feb 8, 2013 at 2:18 PM

No disrespect to Habs fans but I despise Therrien and the the way he singles out/turns on his team. He did it in Pittsburgh repeatedly. The team sprang to life when he left.

• thecheeman - Feb 8, 2013 at 2:41 PM

The guy did make the Finals right?

• hockeywithdrawal - Feb 8, 2013 at 5:24 PM

Nothing to do with it – and not what I’m referring to. Not sure how to explain it…you can get a cheeseburger with a handgun, or with money, but only one of the two ways is respectible.

• killerpgh - Feb 8, 2013 at 2:43 PM

I disagree. I think Therrien was the coach the Penguins needed at the time and was a big reason why the Penguins won the Cup. Therrien is a great fit for a you a young team like the Habs. He demands accountability (although he did let Crosby get away with more than he should of, imo) Brooks Orpik’s play was slipping so Therrien made him a 4th winger for a game short while just to prove a point. He is far from a players coach so eventually players will tune him out and he will get replaced. But his fingerprints were all over the Cup that Bylsma won with the Penguins a few month after replacing Therrien.

• thecheeman - Feb 8, 2013 at 5:53 PM

Therrien sounds to me like the Keenan/Tortorella archetype Alpha Male coach that can absolutely be effective in the right environment, even if not for the long term.

If Subban’s as big a piece of garbage as everyone seems to think then he sounds like the right kind of coach for the Habs now.

2. mclovinhockey - Feb 8, 2013 at 2:41 PM

If it was me white would be in the minors till needed. This is the 2nd time in the 10 games white costed the Habs a game. Both were due to stupidity. It’s a team sport and he isn’t playing with his team in mind.

3. jaredphi - Feb 8, 2013 at 2:42 PM

I agree with hockeywithdrawal above in his comments about this type of coaching style.

Yes, individual players who perform in an undisciplined fashion need to change and to stop costing their teams with their actions.

However, singling players out publicly can negatively impact the players’ motivation and morale.

I’d think it’d be better to hold individual meetings with all players after a game like this and for the coach to impart his wisdom privately to those that need correcting. In this fashion, public embarrassment is avoided and, in some cases, no player knows for sure who’s in the “doghouse” or not.

4. letsgopens8771 - Feb 8, 2013 at 6:33 PM

Actually, All of you are wrong about his career. Therrien made it to the Finals in ’08 with the Pens but lost. Next season, he sucked and got the can halfway through, beginning the Bylsma era. It was Disco Dan who won the cup, not him.

hockeywithdrawal, I agree. He does single out players. However, I thought his biggest problem was that he was one dimensional. He never mixes up the lines, so defenses know what’s coming at them when they hit the blueline. It was always, “These are my four lines and they are to remain unchanged” all the time in Pittsburgh.

In all fairness to the Habs, he has made them relevant again. They were a weak team at the end of last season, especially because they were small and could not score goals and did not have nearly as much firepower as their division rivals. However, the Habs are a much better hockey club, and Therrien is part of that. Maybe his system is what Montreal needs, in terms of consistence from all 4 lines.

5. mclovinhockey - Feb 8, 2013 at 8:57 PM

Haha I think that was the quote of the year @ hockeywithdrawl, I think I may use that one day :,)

Top 10 NHL Player Searches