Feb 8, 2013, 2:01 PM EDT
Hopefully Ryan White likes kibble.
It’s all he might be getting for a while.
The rugged Montreal forward has taken up residence in head coach Michel Therrien’s doghouse after a costly, undisciplined incident during Thursday’s 5-4 shootout loss to Buffalo.
With the Habs up 4-2 midway through the third period, White took a double roughing minor — going after Buffalo pest Steve Ott — that allowed the Sabres back into the game:
Thomas Vanek scored on the four-minute power play and would tie up the game with just two seconds remaining in regulation.
As for Therrien, here are a few of his choice quotes regarding White’s actions:
— “I thought it was a good time to get Ryan White back in the lineup. It wasn’t my best decision.” (link)
— “This is the third time this year he put his team in trouble. Clearly undisciplined and unacceptable.” (link)
— “The game was under control before the penalties he took. So, disappointed.” (link)
White had been out of the lineup since Jan. 30’s 5-1 loss in Ottawa — a game in which he was called for roughing and assessed an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty for arguing the call, which resulted in the Senators scoring two power play goals.
He may have been trying to make an impression last night, but it clearly went the wrong way.
The 24-year-old was remorseful after the contest.
“Obviously, it was a selfish play,” White told the Montreal Gazette. “I thought [Ott] went kind of low on me and that’s what he does. He’s a smart player and I reacted in the wrong way.
“I cost my teammates another two points.”
- Watch Live: Capitals at Islanders 0
- Sens turn to Anderson for Game 3 0
- Silfverberg scores winner with 21 seconds remaining, Ducks complete comeback over Jets 7
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ 60
- So…what do the Oilers do now? 61
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall 165
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup playoff action 7
- Tarasenko’s hat trick has the Wild singing the Blues 16
- Bishop records first career playoff win as Lightning even series with Red Wings 6
- Hartley fined $50,000 after brawl between Flames and Canucks 25
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (165)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)