Feb 8, 2013, 2:01 PM EDT
Hopefully Ryan White likes kibble.
It’s all he might be getting for a while.
The rugged Montreal forward has taken up residence in head coach Michel Therrien’s doghouse after a costly, undisciplined incident during Thursday’s 5-4 shootout loss to Buffalo.
With the Habs up 4-2 midway through the third period, White took a double roughing minor — going after Buffalo pest Steve Ott — that allowed the Sabres back into the game:
Thomas Vanek scored on the four-minute power play and would tie up the game with just two seconds remaining in regulation.
As for Therrien, here are a few of his choice quotes regarding White’s actions:
— “I thought it was a good time to get Ryan White back in the lineup. It wasn’t my best decision.” (link)
— “This is the third time this year he put his team in trouble. Clearly undisciplined and unacceptable.” (link)
— “The game was under control before the penalties he took. So, disappointed.” (link)
White had been out of the lineup since Jan. 30’s 5-1 loss in Ottawa — a game in which he was called for roughing and assessed an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty for arguing the call, which resulted in the Senators scoring two power play goals.
He may have been trying to make an impression last night, but it clearly went the wrong way.
The 24-year-old was remorseful after the contest.
“Obviously, it was a selfish play,” White told the Montreal Gazette. “I thought [Ott] went kind of low on me and that’s what he does. He’s a smart player and I reacted in the wrong way.
“I cost my teammates another two points.”
- ‘Almost like a game seven tonight’ for Bruins, Panthers 8
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack 46
- How bad are things for the Kings after Monday? 19
- Lightning clinch playoff berth, but did they lose Hedman? 9
- Blackhawks tease good injury news for Kane 8
- Tough times in Tampa: Garrison out 3-4 weeks after ‘pretty dirty’ Abdelkader hit 22
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- NHL on NBCSN: Stakes high for Kings, ‘Hawks tonight 21
- Blackhawks’ Sharp: ‘We knew we had to get two points’ 12
- Video: Brian Engblom takes a puck to the head 13