Feb 8, 2013, 2:01 PM EDT
Hopefully Ryan White likes kibble.
It’s all he might be getting for a while.
The rugged Montreal forward has taken up residence in head coach Michel Therrien’s doghouse after a costly, undisciplined incident during Thursday’s 5-4 shootout loss to Buffalo.
With the Habs up 4-2 midway through the third period, White took a double roughing minor — going after Buffalo pest Steve Ott — that allowed the Sabres back into the game:
Thomas Vanek scored on the four-minute power play and would tie up the game with just two seconds remaining in regulation.
As for Therrien, here are a few of his choice quotes regarding White’s actions:
— “I thought it was a good time to get Ryan White back in the lineup. It wasn’t my best decision.” (link)
— “This is the third time this year he put his team in trouble. Clearly undisciplined and unacceptable.” (link)
— “The game was under control before the penalties he took. So, disappointed.” (link)
White had been out of the lineup since Jan. 30’s 5-1 loss in Ottawa — a game in which he was called for roughing and assessed an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty for arguing the call, which resulted in the Senators scoring two power play goals.
He may have been trying to make an impression last night, but it clearly went the wrong way.
The 24-year-old was remorseful after the contest.
“Obviously, it was a selfish play,” White told the Montreal Gazette. “I thought [Ott] went kind of low on me and that’s what he does. He’s a smart player and I reacted in the wrong way.
“I cost my teammates another two points.”
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 4
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 5
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 59
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 4
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 58
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 30
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)