Feb 8, 2013, 2:01 PM EDT
Hopefully Ryan White likes kibble.
It’s all he might be getting for a while.
The rugged Montreal forward has taken up residence in head coach Michel Therrien’s doghouse after a costly, undisciplined incident during Thursday’s 5-4 shootout loss to Buffalo.
With the Habs up 4-2 midway through the third period, White took a double roughing minor — going after Buffalo pest Steve Ott — that allowed the Sabres back into the game:
Thomas Vanek scored on the four-minute power play and would tie up the game with just two seconds remaining in regulation.
As for Therrien, here are a few of his choice quotes regarding White’s actions:
– “I thought it was a good time to get Ryan White back in the lineup. It wasn’t my best decision.” (link)
– “This is the third time this year he put his team in trouble. Clearly undisciplined and unacceptable.” (link)
– “The game was under control before the penalties he took. So, disappointed.” (link)
White had been out of the lineup since Jan. 30’s 5-1 loss in Ottawa — a game in which he was called for roughing and assessed an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty for arguing the call, which resulted in the Senators scoring two power play goals.
He may have been trying to make an impression last night, but it clearly went the wrong way.
The 24-year-old was remorseful after the contest.
“Obviously, it was a selfish play,” White told the Montreal Gazette. “I thought [Ott] went kind of low on me and that’s what he does. He’s a smart player and I reacted in the wrong way.
“I cost my teammates another two points.”
- Carolina is ‘concerned’ about Jordan Staal, who was helped off the ice 1
- IIHF, NHL to meet next month to discuss World Cup (Updated) 0
- Caps unveil new Winter Classic jerseys 25
- Drouin out 3-4 weeks with fractured thumb 3
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 8
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 10
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 35
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough (35)
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks (29)