Feb 8, 2013, 2:01 PM EDT
Hopefully Ryan White likes kibble.
It’s all he might be getting for a while.
The rugged Montreal forward has taken up residence in head coach Michel Therrien’s doghouse after a costly, undisciplined incident during Thursday’s 5-4 shootout loss to Buffalo.
With the Habs up 4-2 midway through the third period, White took a double roughing minor — going after Buffalo pest Steve Ott — that allowed the Sabres back into the game:
Thomas Vanek scored on the four-minute power play and would tie up the game with just two seconds remaining in regulation.
As for Therrien, here are a few of his choice quotes regarding White’s actions:
– “I thought it was a good time to get Ryan White back in the lineup. It wasn’t my best decision.” (link)
– “This is the third time this year he put his team in trouble. Clearly undisciplined and unacceptable.” (link)
– “The game was under control before the penalties he took. So, disappointed.” (link)
White had been out of the lineup since Jan. 30′s 5-1 loss in Ottawa — a game in which he was called for roughing and assessed an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty for arguing the call, which resulted in the Senators scoring two power play goals.
He may have been trying to make an impression last night, but it clearly went the wrong way.
The 24-year-old was remorseful after the contest.
“Obviously, it was a selfish play,” White told the Montreal Gazette. “I thought [Ott] went kind of low on me and that’s what he does. He’s a smart player and I reacted in the wrong way.
“I cost my teammates another two points.”
- Brown, Toews, Alfredsson up for Messier Leadership Award 4
- Playoffs Tonight: Blackhawks look to ‘ramp up our intensity’ vs Red Wings 9
- Report: Patrick Roy a candidate for Avalanche head coaching job 8
- Senators’ OT hero Greening had fiberglass pieces removed from face 2
- Discuss: Senators win Game 3 in double overtime 36
- Report: Kings’ Stoll may have head, shoulder injuries 15
- Rangers’ goaltending a concern? ‘We know what Henrik is,’ says Tortorella 24
- Discuss: Bruins find scoring touch in Game 2 win over Rangers 45
- Playoffs tonight: Spezza’s Game 3 return, Bruins-Rangers highlight your Sunday 5
- Penner blasts refs for having ‘gall to guess’ on goalie interference call 64
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (94)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (80)
- McPhee says lack of power plays ‘didn’t feel right’; Torts says Washington is ‘whining’ (70)
- Parker carves up Grizzlies as Spurs roll in Gm. 1
- PHT: Senators sneak past Penguins in two overtimes
- PHT: Bruins crack Lundqvist, hammer Rangers
- HBT: Cabrera rips three homers, passes Greenberg
- MST: No bumping on Bump Day at Indy 500
- PBT: Spurs have too much offense for Grizz in Gm. 1
- PST: Arsenal grabs Champions League spot