Flyers’ Simmonds practices fully: ‘I feel ready to play’

Feb 8, 2013, 9:43 PM EDT

Wayne Simmonds Getty Images

Philadelphia forward Wayne Simmonds doffed his non-contact jersey for Friday’s practice and said he’s feeling good prior to Saturday’s home date with Carolina.

“I feel good. I guess Lavy [coach Peter Laviolette] will tell me later tonight,” he told CSN Philadelphia about facing the ‘Canes. “It’s only right to wait until you are fully recovered until you come back. For me, this was my first concussion, so obviously I wanted to wait until I felt comfortable.

“I feel good, I feel ready to play, but then again it is up to the coaching staff.”

CSN’s Tim Panaccio noted that while Simmonds didn’t absorb much contact Friday, it was the most he’s taken since getting concussed on a John Erskine elbow a week ago.

Simmonds said it was the first concussion of his career, but noted he didn’t have any residual effects, like headaches.

It’s clear he wants back in the lineup.

Simmonds scored five points in his first eight games of the season, playing his usual robust, physical style.

The Flyers have missed his presence, but also done a good job of securing points without him, going 2-0-1 during his absence.

“It sucks watching,” Simmonds said. “The boys have done a good job and playing unbelievable hockey, of late.”

1. valoisvipers - Feb 8, 2013 at 9:51 PM

Glad the kid feels good and hope that he stays feeling like that.

2. mclovinhockey - Feb 8, 2013 at 11:19 PM

: ) the night train is ready to roll

3. Jack Bauer 24 - Feb 9, 2013 at 2:09 AM

one stiff elbow to the kisser and he’s checking into a retirement facility

• phillyphanatic77 - Feb 9, 2013 at 10:04 AM

Scumbag. I for one really hope Simmonds plays against the Canes today. We need two points and he could provide a boost.

• hockeywithdrawal - Feb 9, 2013 at 11:52 AM

I’ve heard you PERSONALLY say the same about Crosby, though? You a scumbag too? One good shot, he’s a vegetable. That’s what Phithy fans said….so, yeah no sympathy.

• eigglesnosuperbowls - Feb 9, 2013 at 12:58 PM

tell me the nerd dude that kissed the hot chick in the gp daddy sb commercial doesn’t look like he and crosby were separated at birth !

• phillyphanatic77 - Feb 9, 2013 at 1:39 PM

Hockeywithdrawal I have never ONCE wished injury on anyone. I’ve said I want Crosby to be healthy because it’s all the better when we beat the pens with him in the lineup. You are thinking of another person on PHT because I do not stoop to the level of wishing injury on anyone, even someone as detestable as Sidney Crosby. Once again you are wrong.

• eigglesnosuperbowls - Feb 9, 2013 at 12:59 PM

jack blower we know that you would like a stiff one to the kisser

• eigglesnosuperbowls - Feb 9, 2013 at 1:00 PM

jack blower we know the stiff one you would like to the kisser

• Jack Bauer 24 - Feb 9, 2013 at 2:59 PM

you’ve been reported for making a lewd disgusting sexual comment .

• eigglesnosuperbowls - Feb 9, 2013 at 3:00 PM

Thats good work by you !

4. ironman721 - Feb 9, 2013 at 10:49 AM

Glad he is Ok. Rooting for injuries is disgusting. Just because there is freedom of speech doesn’t mean you should open your mouth. – 🐧fan

• hockeywithdrawal - Feb 9, 2013 at 12:25 PM

No one was rooting for injuries, I don’t think.

• phillyphanatic77 - Feb 9, 2013 at 2:01 PM

I’d say Jack Bauer was.

• Jack Bauer 24 - Feb 9, 2013 at 2:11 PM

injuries are a part of sports, ehh it happens

• hockeywithdrawal - Feb 9, 2013 at 2:24 PM