Feb 8, 2013, 5:44 PM EDT
Boston GM Peter Chiarelli has confirmed he will begin contract extension talks with goalie Tuukka Rask during the regular season.
“Breaching my own policy [of not discussing contracts], we will bring up talks with Tuukka at some point in this season, in hoping to extend him,” Chiarelli told CSNNE.com’s Joe Haggerty. “I know the perception looks like one follows the other and I was waiting to pull the trigger based on a great game by Tuukka.
“We’ve been pretty open with Tuukka and Tim as far as when we would see them ending up, I call it a succession plan.”
The perception Chiarelli alludes to is that, in the last 48 hours, the Bruins watched Rask perform beautifully in a victory over Montreal, then traded Tim Thomas — well, Tim Thomas’ contract — to the New York Islanders.
As for the succession plan, it’s this: Rask signed a one-year, $3.5 million contract last June as a sort “prove it” deal, one where he would assume the starting role and assure Boston brass he could replace Thomas as the bonafide No. 1.
Thus far, he’s done exactly that.
Rask ranks near the top of most statistical categories with his 6-1-1 record, 1.96 goals-against average and .922 save percentage.
The question now, of course, is what kind of money he’ll get with his extension.
Here’s more, from Haggerty:
The guess is that Rask’s final contract extension will reside somewhere in a range between the recent deals procured for Ondrej Pavelec (5 years and $19.5 million) and Carey Price (6 years and $39.5 million) with his ultimate performance over the course of this season filling out the numbers.
It’s a wide range to be sure, but Rask is expected to come up in the middle ($5 million per season) of those deals if he can maintain his high level of play as a No. 1 goaltender for Boston this season.
Rask, 25, could gun for an extension similar to the one Carolina’s Cam Ward signed when he was 25 — a six-year, $37.8 million deal after making $3.5 million as a RFA.
But it would be a tough sell, especially since Ward backstopped the ‘Canes to a Stanley Cup and had a Conn Smythe trophy on his resume.
May 20, 2013, 12:55 PM EDT
He’s off to Torpedo Nizhni Novgorod.
May 20, 2013, 12:40 PM EDT
He was a healthy scratch for Games 1 and 2.
May 20, 2013, 12:27 PM EDT
Young d-men Torey Krug, Dougie Hamilton and Matt Bartkowski have impressed.
May 20, 2013, 12:12 PM EDT
That’s Darnell Nurse, a highly-touted prospect for the 2013 NHL Entry Draft.
May 20, 2013, 11:56 AM EDT
But don’t worry, Sens fans — he’s fine.
May 20, 2013, 11:43 AM EDT
San Jose’s Logan Couture played the hero on Saturday night.
May 20, 2013, 11:02 AM EDT
Which is exactly what the goalie was following Game 3.
May 20, 2013, 10:32 AM EDT
All three captains are still competing in the playoffs.
May 20, 2013, 10:29 AM EDT
And Blue Jackets GM Jarmo Kekalainen was apparently on board.
May 20, 2013, 9:54 AM EDT
Washington is moving into a very tough division.
May 20, 2013, 9:01 AM EDT
He had no points and seven fights.
May 20, 2013, 8:03 AM EDT
Game 3 will start at 7:30 p.m. ET.
May 20, 2013, 7:15 AM EDT
Monday’s collection of links.
May 20, 2013, 1:56 AM EDT
Had success as a QMJHL coach in Quebec.
May 20, 2013, 1:28 AM EDT
That close to going up 3-0.
May 20, 2013, 12:55 AM EDT
May 20, 2013, 12:04 AM EDT
May 19, 2013, 11:48 PM EDT
Ottawa back in the series.
May 19, 2013, 11:20 PM EDT
Looked like a minor penalty. Went undetected.
May 19, 2013, 10:51 PM EDT
- Brown, Toews, Alfredsson up for Messier Leadership Award 3
- Playoffs Tonight: Blackhawks look to ‘ramp up our intensity’ vs Red Wings 8
- Report: Patrick Roy a candidate for Avalanche head coaching job 8
- Senators’ OT hero Greening had fiberglass pieces removed from face 2
- Discuss: Senators win Game 3 in double overtime 33
- Report: Kings’ Stoll may have head, shoulder injuries 15
- Rangers’ goaltending a concern? ‘We know what Henrik is,’ says Tortorella 24
- Discuss: Bruins find scoring touch in Game 2 win over Rangers 42
- Playoffs tonight: Spezza’s Game 3 return, Bruins-Rangers highlight your Sunday 5
- Penner blasts refs for having ‘gall to guess’ on goalie interference call 64
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (94)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (80)
- McPhee says lack of power plays ‘didn’t feel right’; Torts says Washington is ‘whining’ (70)
- PBT: Parker carves up Grizzlies as Spurs roll in Gm. 1
- PHT: Senators sneak past Penguins in two overtimes
- PHT: Bruins crack Lundqvist, hammer Rangers
- HBT: Cabrera rips three homers, passes Greenberg
- MST: No bumping on Bump Day at Indy 500
- PST: Arsenal grabs Champions League spot
- Ferguson's managerial career ends with 5-5 draw