Feb 8, 2013, 5:44 PM EST
Boston GM Peter Chiarelli has confirmed he will begin contract extension talks with goalie Tuukka Rask during the regular season.
“Breaching my own policy [of not discussing contracts], we will bring up talks with Tuukka at some point in this season, in hoping to extend him,” Chiarelli told CSNNE.com’s Joe Haggerty. “I know the perception looks like one follows the other and I was waiting to pull the trigger based on a great game by Tuukka.
“We’ve been pretty open with Tuukka and Tim as far as when we would see them ending up, I call it a succession plan.”
The perception Chiarelli alludes to is that, in the last 48 hours, the Bruins watched Rask perform beautifully in a victory over Montreal, then traded Tim Thomas — well, Tim Thomas’ contract — to the New York Islanders.
As for the succession plan, it’s this: Rask signed a one-year, $3.5 million contract last June as a sort “prove it” deal, one where he would assume the starting role and assure Boston brass he could replace Thomas as the bonafide No. 1.
Thus far, he’s done exactly that.
Rask ranks near the top of most statistical categories with his 6-1-1 record, 1.96 goals-against average and .922 save percentage.
The question now, of course, is what kind of money he’ll get with his extension.
Here’s more, from Haggerty:
The guess is that Rask’s final contract extension will reside somewhere in a range between the recent deals procured for Ondrej Pavelec (5 years and $19.5 million) and Carey Price (6 years and $39.5 million) with his ultimate performance over the course of this season filling out the numbers.
It’s a wide range to be sure, but Rask is expected to come up in the middle ($5 million per season) of those deals if he can maintain his high level of play as a No. 1 goaltender for Boston this season.
Rask, 25, could gun for an extension similar to the one Carolina’s Cam Ward signed when he was 25 — a six-year, $37.8 million deal after making $3.5 million as a RFA.
But it would be a tough sell, especially since Ward backstopped the ‘Canes to a Stanley Cup and had a Conn Smythe trophy on his resume.
Mar 3, 2015, 8:00 AM EST
Tuesday’s collection of links.
Mar 2, 2015, 11:23 PM EST
Kimmo Timonen and Antoine Vermette made their debuts.
Mar 2, 2015, 10:49 PM EST
San Jose beat Montreal 4-0 on Monday.
Mar 2, 2015, 9:56 PM EST
An impressive effort for a team going all-in.
Mar 2, 2015, 9:03 PM EST
Then again, Taylor Beck’s helper might have been better.
Mar 2, 2015, 8:14 PM EST
He’ll pair with Sergei Gonchar to start.
Mar 2, 2015, 7:31 PM EST
Adding versatility in a tough West.
Mar 2, 2015, 6:49 PM EST
Quite a rebound from a scary lacerated arm.
Mar 2, 2015, 5:59 PM EST
“We were looking to upgrade, add more of a veteran presence.”
Mar 2, 2015, 5:49 PM EST
“It’s just hard to get a deal done, and you see the prices are so high.”
Mar 2, 2015, 5:25 PM EST
Was it just a sellers’ market?
Mar 2, 2015, 5:10 PM EST
He gets a no-trade clause in the first year of the deal.
Mar 2, 2015, 5:09 PM EST
“Devastating” news for the Calgary Flames.
Mar 2, 2015, 4:47 PM EST
He was scheduled to become a restricted free agent after this season.
Mar 2, 2015, 4:00 PM EST
All the latest leading up to 3 p.m. ET…
Mar 2, 2015, 3:57 PM EST
They were “adamant” about bolstering their blue line.
Mar 2, 2015, 3:44 PM EST
Second trade of the day for Boston.
Mar 2, 2015, 3:38 PM EST
Former 13th overall pick.
Mar 2, 2015, 3:20 PM EST
A 31-year-old for a 23-year-old.
Mar 2, 2015, 3:15 PM EST
For the price of a second-round pick in 2017.
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 38
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 63
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 19
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 35
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 13
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 50
- Wild get Stewart as Buffalo-to-Minnesota pipeline continues 53
- Jordan Leopold’s daughter may have orchestrated the Minnesota trade 17
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils 69
- Can the Wings and Leafs work out a deal for Phaneuf? 49
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder (69)